rattle from underneath the car

yendall24

Reaction score
hi all i have had a rattle from under my car for a few weeks now the sound was coming from under the front passenger seat where the cat sits so i thought it was the cat breaking up any way yesterday i replaced the cat for a new one guess what the exact same noise is still there . i thought it was strange because when i removed the old one i gave it a good shake and it never made a sound i would of expected it to rattle but no .i have checked the heat sheild above the cat and it seems solid the car as covered 114000 miles and is still on the original exhaust if it was another box in the system that had the rattle do think the noise could travel to the ceramic honeycomb in the cat because the noise is 100% coming from under the passenger seat where the cat lives dont you just hate it when you replace a part that does not solve the problem . as anybody had this problem any info would be helpful

Funny other day i had a rattle under drivers seat.
It sounded like someone put a bakebean can under car wit few stones in it.
just seems to have gone.
I know is dont help you Yendall but thought id share it.

Last edited:
i am looking for a bit of advice i have been driving a good few years but i have never had an exhaust box collapse on any of my cars i think that is whats happened now what are the symptoms of a kaput box can it sound like a tin can full of pebbles i think its the centre box i just basically want to know what they sound like

I had a rattle under mine once, turned out to be the undertray rattling against the metal mounts at the back! (I hadn't tightened one of the screws properly after replacing it)

just had a quick look under the car and i have one of the screw missing near where the cat comes down from the manifold i was under there on saturday when i changed the cat but never noticed it i will get a screw and hopefully it will be sorted thanks for that fingers crossed

no luck i replaced the screw but no difference does anybody know the symptoms of a worn quattro centre driveshaft bearing the one that sits above the cats behind the heat sheild the noise is defenately coming from this area i am just trying to cover all angles any advice would be very welcome

hi all i had a great day yesterday i finaly found the cause of the rattle i had the car up on axle stands as i was replacing the thermostat so whilst it was up i had a good look underneath i found it to be the engine sub frame mount i changed the bottom arms a couple of months ago and i loosend it to remove the arm and forgot to tighten it back up silly me