fail

joss

Reaction score
just failed my mot.....after forgetting it and letting it run out i nipped to mot station only to be told that it'd fail on front lower bushes being shagged and one arm on top too.
gutted.
any offers for a mot less a4 quattro slammed on fk coilovers and 18" old school a8 rims.
:bye:

it's the cash though..totally skint and our first sprog on the way..
any body know what price we're talking. both front lower and both upper front bushes i think

Replace the whole arm TBH mate, You can get pattern upper arms for about £18 but I honestly wouldn't as they don't last long although can buy you about 6 months until you can sort them with O/E quality kit.

Should be able to sort upper arms fro about £35 a pop and the lowers for about £60 each. They're not too bad to change bar that top pinch bolt for the upper arms whcih can be an absolute cnut to get out and will need replacing. If you get Lemforder upper arms they come with a new pich bolt.

If cash is that much of an issue, short term you could probably locate all of the arms on Ebay for £60. However some users have reported that they do not last long. I have not had any problems myself tbh.
Like Oranoco says, its the pinch bolt that may cause you a problem, that needs to be soaked in WD40 or similar, i find gently warming it with a hot air gun and putting some pressure up and down witha 16mm spanner, then remove heat spray again ets will always release them without too much direct heat to damage and boots or gaiters.

If you were closer i would do them for you, wouldn't take long if you had the arms

i've got a mate who works for hiq so i might be able to get the parts at trade and he'll do the fitting..i'll go monday and see how much he can do it for.

Good luck joss not worth selling car make sure as Mark says soak them with WD40 or plus gas even a few days before even every day until you get them done

right, my mate can't do it he's of to canada.
can anyone give me the gsf numbers for the parts i need.
upper front arm and lwer suspension arm..ill get a pic to make sure you know what i'm on about

Without being funny but wouldnt originals be better so you dont have this issue in 6 months time unless you plan to sell up of course, cause doing twice is just waste of money IMHO & considering you've already said things are tight, think later would be even worse no with kid along, just friendly advice.

Nigel, i was saying not all CHEAP arms are bad, just some people have had problems.

If Joss can get them from a shop then they will be guaranteed anyway. Lemforder are a popular aftermarket brand and they manufacture for AUDI themselve, Meyle ones are also good. I have used various brands from my car place with no probs.

It was also a way to get an MOT and maybe things will be a bit better down the line

Neither was I mate, I was just thinking about the fact he has kid on route & he's already mentioned money is tight so best way forward IMHO is to go with genuines if keeping car so he doesnt have another huge expense possibly in 6 months or so, he might be ok but I know I'd rather now counter any possible issues later with genuine tbh, least they are guaranteed for 1-2 years & if was to go audi would most likely replace foc & labour, all IMHO of course.

I was just ensuring that he knew all of the options open to him. OE use Lemforder, and GSF and any other factor should be able to supply them

hey no worries mate, just opinions & I know you're trying to help as we all are, all good here.

Only heat the pinch bolt area with a heat gun nothing else ,
as you may end up failing the test for heat damage on suspension components .

i have recently replaced all 4 bottom arms on my car i got them from gsf they are made by vetech so far so good with a 12 month warrenty so if they start to knock i will take them back i have quite a bit of vetach gear and so far all seems ok . front track control arm LH part no 8EO-407-6930 £35.00 front track control arm RH part no 8EO-407-6940 £35.00 front track control arms x2 part number 4DO-407-151P £27.60 each hope this helps

how much were the bottom arms each cause they do 2

the 2 at 35 quid are handed left and right hence different part numbers the 2 at 27.60 fit any side hence the same part number ie the rear arm with the larger bush is the 35 quid one. the front arm that you bolt the bottom of the shock to is the 27.60 one hope this helps

Last edited:
right it's a 95/6 a4 2.6 quattro and i need the part numbers to order from gsf
what i need are these d/s and p/side

0512.jpg

i think i got the part number 42230a from my other thread

and these (on the left) p/side and d/side, this is pass side
0189.jpg

any help greatly recieved.
and on the subject of quality, i'll just stick with the best gsf has to offer.

i have just give you the part numbers for the bottom arms you dont need part numbers all the arms are standard just tell gsf what you want they sell plenty

They are known as "lower front" and "upper front" arms. If you ask for those at euro car parts etc they should sort you out.

Joss... if you need fundage to repair your car for MOT, you could flog your wheels... ;)

ha ha and then how would i drive my car..

i've got a mint one i might sell though but i don't know how much it's worth. got it off ebay cheap but i've seen them for £125 notes and thats used

ganna go gsf euro car parts in a min and get the stuff i need
any body got a idea on price for fitting this lot?

Yeah... the £125 wheel on Ebay is where I got my full set from for £160, so God knows why he's trying to sell a single wheel for £125... :confused:

pikey scrappers probably but some idiot probably brought it..i paid less than £50 i think for my set of 4...:arco:

You're not wrong there... I'm having to give the set I bought back as the Police got in touch and it turns out they were stolen!

Will give you £100 for your wheels then... 100% profit for you!

oh dear...just make sure it is the cops and not some scamming pikey.

£100 notes and them crappy things you got on there now and you got a deal..ha ha ha ha ha ha

just paid £180 for the 4 arms and a cv rubberboot and there the lemforder ones and just spoke to the bloke who fitted my coilovers and he said he'd fit them all and the cv boot for £70-80

That's a good deal then.

The complete front set for mine came to just over £300... of the Lemforder variety too.

Fitted them myself, but I was aided by ramps and air-tools!

yeah i seen the full kit but i need it done nowish and couldn't afford the £350 it cost and then fitting then the mot cost which is 49 notes...what a ripoff
and to be honest i think i could fit it my self but i ain't got the tools and a flat surface...the roads round here are teribley slanted and my mates on holiday so can't use his tools or drive

Last edited:
oh sweet relief..finally got an mot..didn't mention how long it had run out earlier in the thread but it was actually 2 months..i've now stuck the sticker off the ticket in my window so it's staring me in the face every time i drive the fecking thing

Thats of course 2 months stuck on a private drive then Joss :whistle2: