Bilstein B6 or B8??

Nige P

Reaction score
My MoT is due in 3 wks and have just noticed that my top suspension links are moving/knocking. Due to not being able to remove the F'ing C'ing, W'anking B'stard pinch bolt on a previous occasion I know I have to hand it over to my Man That Can. He says he drops the whole lot out and then can get to work on it from there. Now as I am paying his labour charge to dismantle the complete suspension it would seem sensible to have him rebuild it with new stuff, ie link kit, shocks & springs. This is a great idea except for when it comes to paying!

Anyway, he is a great fan of the Bilstein B12 kits which I understand is the B8 shocks and H&R springs. Reading previous threads and recommendations the general concensus is to use B6 shocks with Eibach springs, but according to the Bil' website the B6's are for standard height cars and not for use with lowering springs. So why does everyone use B6's with lowering springs on here??

Also, to try and make me feel better (or not) about spending this sort of money on a 10 yr old car, will it really transform it to being almost like a new one?? Had a new clutch fitted last month for £1k so still feeling a bit sensitive :sadlike:

Oh, its a '99 2.8Q Avant

£200 each for the fronts now! ! ***, what's happened to Bilstein prices?

I went with the consensus and fitted b5 sport dampers and
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs to my s4.
I drive mainly undulating country roads. I think if motorway and dual carriage
way i'd be fine, but I think Nige has a point, i'm not sure the match is right.

-- can the b6 run with completely std springs?

B6's are kind of upgraded dampers for Std ride height, and the B8s are for lowered cars as they have shorter pistons.

The ride on the B8s and Eibachs is excelent IMHO even on my mates heavy V6 auto, almosr OE ride, but very little lean in corners. Feels very safe. A lot of money granted but warrenteed for lifetime i think..... (Damian ??)

just looked on bilstein's site
b6- std height or up to 30mm lower, b8 from 30mm lower on.

my Eibach kit only lowered my s4 by 20mm, so b6 seem right.

------any experience of b6 dampers on std s4 springs?

just looked on bilstein's site
b6- std height or up to 30mm lower, b8 from 30mm lower on.

Well done Sun, or Kath, that would explain it. In that case I had better check what the drop is on the B12 kit as I certainly don't want it slammed! Sounds as though it is worth fitting them so had better get the credit card out again.

Mine's on B6's and Eibach Pro.

Lowered by about 25mm, and ride feels very similar to stock sport suspension, in terms of comfort. A lot tighter round the twisties though, less body roll.

Do B8's cost more than b6's?