a4 to s3?

ian52

2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow
Reaction score
starting to think about selling my facelift 1.8t quattro sport and getting an early s3 instead but not sure if its worthwhile. just like the look of them and i dont need a 4 door car realy. what would you do?

The S-models have that special something that comes with them, which is the combination of interior, exterior, poise and performance, so I would say if you're considering it then do it. Enjoy something like the S3 whilst you can, because probably somehwere in the future you'll need a bigger car again.

Last edited:
My choice, would be to stick with the B5 1,8TQS.

I've never been a fan of transverse-engined cars, and the Haldex system comes with it's own issues, from the controller to the transfer section itself. Not really a true quattro system either.

I think you would find yourself wishing you had more power on the S3 as they do a good job of seperating you from the road

i like the a4 but i like smaller hatches like the s3 and its probably just as big inside and to get the a4 to the same performance as an s3 with a simple chip would cost a fair bit. i hear what your saying about the haldex,i prefer the a4's quattro. seen a few s3's about the 4k mark now. i know ones at this end of the scale wont be mint but then my a4's not mint either. i keep seeing stuff i want for the a4 but then keep thinking i might be better buying an s3.

It is smaller inside width ways for sure. It is also at least as heavy as your A4.

That said, i would swap my car tomorrow for one.

personally i would go for the S3 out of the two, more power,more refinement(interior,exterior etc) and i jus like the S3, if i had to have a small hatch it would be the S3 all day, then a GTI.

Ive been thinking the same over the last few days, gettin shot of my a4 tqs for s3, just because i cant justify running an s4 and s3 seem the next best option, but i mite change my mind after the tqs is remapped on the 19th of this months so u neva know :)

If refinement is an issue, then the S3 is less refined than an A4. More sound proofing in the A4, and the engine / transmission set-up will naturally transmit less noise / vibration into the cabin.

I'd stick with the A4.

Personally i prefer the style of car. Hot hatches just seem to have a suggestion of young and immature to me.

I also recon as has been suggested above that the A4 will feel more solid, quieter and more refined on the road than a smaller hatch.

The money saved would easily have your A4 chucking out more power than an S3 (V8 anyone ;)) and the handling and ride tweaked so they're spot on.

The question you need to address though is why do you want to change.

My brother went thru a similar thing with his old nova. He wanted something else, but then decided that fitting more power to the nova would be a better idea. Installed the 2.0 motor but within a month or two the fun-factor of the power had gone and all the little niggles of the car that had made him want rid of it in the first place were still there, plus some new ones with the engine conversion. He ended up selling it at a massive loss and baught an E30 instead.

I was in this situ a couple of years ago, had an A4 and always wanted an S3, thought about it and realised, well we dont really need a 4 door car, so waited for the right S3 to come along, and did the deal.

Now have a nice 8L S3, that still puts a smile on my face :)

As mentioned, if you want the S3, go for it

I've always liked the B5, if i find a noggy 1.8tqs i'd change it, if you like the S3 then get one, no matter what you do to the A4 you'll always want an S3 in the end

you can have mine and paint it:icon_thumright:. i like both cars just not sure what one i like more. to be honest if i had more power in the a4 and got it a bit more tidy etc i wouldnt be thinking about an s3 so i should probably just work with that. its a pitty the k04 from an s3 wont go on the a4. i supose the qts is much rarer than an s3 anyway.

I like the A3 body style but I don't like teh haldex FWD feel
I prefer the solid agricultural permanent 4wd the torsen affords you.

V8 time. ;)

210bhp/ton is quicker than a B5 and B6 S4, knocking on the door of a B5 RS4, and up there with 996 carreras and the quick scoobies and "FQ" evos...

and then the noise....

going to keep the a4 and do some bits and bobs to make it better. want an rs4 grill and s4 lower door strips to start off. i think im going to be doing the front suspension arms soon so it will feel much better when thats done too.

i dont agree really with the build quality comment, my cousin has a 1.8tqs and i have an s3. i wouldnt say there are any differences in that compartment. noise wise, well mine is alot quieter on the road. speed wise his has superchips and mine has a revo and he prefers mine. I think it just comes down to what you like from your car or want from it. i dont think the s3 is a true "hot hatch" and so i dont really think it comes with the "boy racer" image, thats why i didn't get a type r! S3 to me looks classy and does everything its supposed to very well...not excellent in any department particularly but well. Saying that i love his 1.8tqs as i think its a very classy car. All the best to you mate.

go for wot you think is best mate, dont not buy an S3 cuz people criticise them, the B5 A4 is a brilliant car so wot ever you go for you will be happy mate, as long as its an audi lol

i was in the oposite camp mate had an S3 always wanted an S4... once i wrapped the S3 the choice was made for me but if you want a true 'drivers car' i think you'll feel you need to tweak either model. i spent nearly 8 grand gettin my s3 the way i wanted it, suspension, chips, heldex controllers, adj tie bars, poly buts here an there uprated ARB's... it just goes on i think to assume you can sell your a4 and find everything you want in an s3 might leave you unimpressed.
i would say if your a fan of the 'true quattro' you wont like the haldex, i never did an now we the s4 i wouldnt go back.

end of the day mate we all want cars we dont have an take what we drive for granted...you want a black one till you have one its only then you fancy a different colour! we've all got the same problem on here!

good luck either way!