Disconnecting the quattro

audi1664

Audi For Sale
Reaction score
Is it possible to take off the prop on my 98 2.8 v6 quattro in order to stop the diff being used as it is knackered. Its only a temp thing whilst i track a replacement but still need my car urgently?

Any help appriciated peeps!:thumbsup:

dan

i am pretty sure that will have the same affect as one wheel off the floor on the front. It will just sit there and go nowhere due to there being no diff lock

Yeah.... but i thought the drive comes from the gearbox diff, so if there was no prop connecting to the rear how would it know, i might be totally off track here but just assuming really?

it does come from the rear of the gearbox, but it's a mechanical diff so if the rear is slipping or it thinks it is( ie prop removed) it will push the power back as its not a limited slip as such

Last edited:
It is a limited slip diff in the centre, but its a torsen, and Torsens need at least some resistance to work. Without any resistance from the rear prop, it would just feed all the power to the rear and you'd go nowhere.

how can it tell about the rear wheels just through the prop shaft, does that mean if you push the car round a corner and a wheels lifts of the floor the car wont accelerate?

replied before seeing message, damn new diff it is then thanks guys!

If you jacked the rear up (or the front) and tried to drive off the car would just spin up the wheels and go nowhere.

Same would happen if you lost traction with one wheel on each axle, although thats what the EDL helps out with.