AH FabricationsEM Tuning
    s4 2.8 quattro

Status

broken steering rack :( :( not a happy chappy, pot hole crappy roads

Just got chance to get the car looked at properly after loosing power steering fluid to find out to my horror i have damaged one of the seals at the off side part of the steering rack oil is leaking out going to have to get a new one only prob no garage round me wants to do it an they dont know how, well atleast they are honest, also damaged one of the tracking parts an some other small stuf, goin to have to take the car to glasgow a good 3 hour treck an leave it down there for the week good point is at least it will be getting put in to andrew at A4Audi they did a amazing job on my dads car, exelent price to, come well recomended by every one i have spoke to, so know it will be done properly. All this comes from hitting a pot hole useless council that cant fix roads think im goin to take a tape an my cam an get the evidence this thing was like a crator on the moon not a pot hole, if i can get it all sent off an enough evidence this one has been marked for being fixed with the yellow spray an has been marked for over a week so my mother tells me cos it was on the way back from hers this happend. think this could be negligence on part of the council? would it stand up in court? cos il take it all the way if they dont accept responsibility for being utter useless monky spankers. RANT OVER LOL

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Hi Ricky I have a similar fault to you with my steering rack leaking fluid so was wondering how much you are paying for the steering rack fitted as I'm only through in fife. Cheers Colin

s4 2.8 quattro

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by colinurquhart View Post
    Hi Ricky I have a similar fault to you with my steering rack leaking fluid so was wondering how much you are paying for the steering rack fitted as I'm only through in fife. Cheers Colin
    prob going to be about 500 for a new rack thats includeing fitting, its just the laber that pushes the cost up tho. but well worth useing andrew in A4Audi the job will be done properly an there customer service is exalent realy good friendly guys that work there. hope this helps

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rickydale300256 View Post
    prob going to be about 500 for a new rack thats includeing fitting, its just the laber that pushes the cost up tho. but well worth useing andrew in A4Audi the job will be done properly an there customer service is exalent realy good friendly guys that work there. hope this helps
    Its an engine out job to fit a steering rack on the b5 a4 ! Reconditioned racks are about 300 quid from Euro Car Parts or GSF, on a exchange basis.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
    Its an engine out job to fit a steering rack on the b5 a4 ! Reconditioned racks are about 300 quid from Euro Car Parts or GSF, on a exchange basis.
    The engine does not need to come out on an A4, its fiddly with the engine in, but it will come out. I have done 2 so far. One TDi and one 1.8t with little problems except PAS fluid everywhere and several frausterated expletives yelled out from under the car

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    I guess the question is whether removing the engine makes the job quicker enough to justify the time removing the engine :P

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Neutral

Status
    I have oil leaking from somewhere and I'm suspecting my steering also. My power steering fluid reservoir was completely empty the other day and the steering was making nasty groaning noises

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Top it up and ignore :P

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

5th Gear

Status
    its not an engine out job, did one a couple of weeks ago
    it is a very messy job though
    kev
    a4 stuff http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/olds_kool_gti
    99 1.8tqs black saloon
    99 1.8tqs grey avant
    90 eunos roadster

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    Top it up and ignore :P
    Beaten you to it

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by olds_kool View Post
    its not an engine out job, did one a couple of weeks ago
    it is a very messy job though
    Aye PAS fluid everywhere isn't it. It's that last bolt that goes into the rack from the engine bay above the exhaust that can be a pain, then removing the pipes at the rack, however hard you try you will have PAS fluid everywhere !

Certainly do able as a 6 /10 DIY IMHO

s4 2.8 quattro

Status
    total pain in the ass job it sounds no wonder no one round me wants to do it lol, hope to have her back on the road in two weeks if i can get her down to andrew some time next week.think i will drive her a wee bit out town then call the RAC say she is broke an get relay to glasgow. dont fancy driveing 3hour with her broken lol

Audi A4 1.8TQ

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rickydale300256 View Post
    Just got chance to get the car looked at properly after loosing power steering fluid to find out to my horror i have damaged one of the seals at the off side part of the steering rack oil is leaking out going to have to get a new one only prob no garage round me wants to do it an they dont know how, well atleast they are honest, also damaged one of the tracking parts an some other small stuf, goin to have to take the car to glasgow a good 3 hour treck an leave it down there for the week good point is at least it will be getting put in to andrew at A4Audi they did a amazing job on my dads car, exelent price to, come well recomended by every one i have spoke to, so know it will be done properly. All this comes from hitting a pot hole useless council that cant fix roads think im goin to take a tape an my cam an get the evidence this thing was like a crator on the moon not a pot hole, if i can get it all sent off an enough evidence this one has been marked for being fixed with the yellow spray an has been marked for over a week so my mother tells me cos it was on the way back from hers this happend. think this could be negligence on part of the council? would it stand up in court? cos il take it all the way if they dont accept responsibility for being utter useless monky spankers. RANT OVER LOL
    Take pics of everything, including the pot hole you hit, write a proffesional letter to the council and they will fob you off, then write another explaining exactly what happened and that you will not be excepting a no... I claimed for 2 wheels and a rack on my old B5 2.6 quattro, council settled for 2 grand. I did take lots of pics and it was clear it was their fault.
    And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan A4 View Post
    The engine does not need to come out on an A4, its fiddly with the engine in, but it will come out. I have done 2 so far. One TDi and one 1.8t with little problems except PAS fluid everywhere and several frausterated expletives yelled out from under the car
    Hi. My power steering rack failed recently so I started replacing it with a reconditioned one. I followed one of the many write-ups on the internet for the A4 / Passat B5 but I've hit a problem.

So far I have disconnected the steering column, removed both tie rod ends and released two of the three rack mounting bolts (the easy ones which can be accessed from the engine bay.

I'm struggling to see how I get access to the final third bolt without stripping down most of the drivers side. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

I've seen a few write-ups on the internet for this job but none of them really demonstrate a simple solution for the final third bolt which is accessed from under the engine, though the majority say it can be done simply.

The car is an A4 B5 2000 x Reg Ajm engine.

Any help would be well appreciated. I really don't want to have to admit defeat.