Advice on A4's

I

imported_PaulGerry

New on forum and to Audi's looking for suggestions on A4's with a sports bias, have budget of approx 8 to 10 k. help please.

If you're looking for something to modify with regards to engine/power then the 1.8T is probably best. I have a 2.8 quattro which is great but very little you can do to it except big bucks (4-5k)jobs like superchargers etc. That said, it's more than adequate for me at the moment.

for 8-10k (presuming your in the UK) I would go for a 1.8T Quattro (180bhp stock, chip to 220bhp'ish cheaply and easily) for a revvy sports ride , or a 2.8 Quattro 30v (193hp) if you prefer the smoother delivery of a larger NA engine.

Test drive both, see which u prefer.

£8-10k should get you the facelift model.

i bought an A4 2.6 Quattro in september last year, it s not particulary fast but has plenty torque, it's got no real performance mod's available that could benefit its reasonable 150bhp v6 engine.Looking back i should have spent more and bought the later 2.8 30v motor (200ish bhp), or, like the majority of the people on here, got me a 1.8T motor.

i can get aprox 35 mpg if i drive like a grandad, upto 25mpg at 30 round town and less than 10mpg on full throttle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif (sounds gr8 though).have you checked for insurance quotes yet?. i got quotes of £874.64 fully comp for a 1.8 t quattro, £782.00 for the 2.8 30v quattro and £455.26 for mine, guess what persueded me ?

my time over i would go with the 1.8 t...

my plan is to fit the bi-turbo engine. in time..!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would definately go for a 1.8T Quattro Sport - I have had mine for two years now (the first car I have had for more then six months without getting bored).

The Quattro sport has 180BHP as standard and a chip plus exhaust will get this up to c.220BHP with loads of mid range. This mod costs about £1000 all in and will bring the car up to TT 225 performance - as a few surprised TT drivers have found :) Just a chip seems to get around 210 BHP and costs around £500.

The interior can take a little getting used to but the handling is great.

If you want to start adding more power the standard engine will go up to around 240BHP with a big turbo and full exhaust - that a fair bit more and by that stage you need to think about brake upgrades; for some reason Audi's seem to be relatively poor on the braking front as standard.

[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me geez, it's not a simple swap job

[/ QUOTE ]

I know!.. i know a mate of mine has done it b4, we are lucky enough to know a gr8 mechanical genious who's gr8 at this type of thing! problem is.. the parts req'd... rare and pricey!!

one day huh?... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good lad... I don't think a new exhaust and chip would be much use in the kitchen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
VaulterTim said:
Good lad... I don't think a new exhaust and chip would be much use in the kitchen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I could always hang the old exhaust in the new kitchen as a bit of a feature....... it might go with all of the chrome appliances and extras the Mrs wants............!!!!!!

Aint no stoppin me know - and the Mrs (reluctantly) knows this.....te he /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Hi

Thanks for the help and advice, will think about the T sports model. Maybe i need to find someone to go for a test drive or something