JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance

Thread: Advice on A4's

imported_PaulGerry

Advice on A4\'s

New on forum and to Audi's looking for suggestions on A4's with a sports bias, have budget of approx 8 to 10 k. help please.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status

Re: Advice on A4\'s

If you're looking for something to modify with regards to engine/power then the 1.8T is probably best. I have a 2.8 quattro which is great but very little you can do to it except big bucks (4-5k)jobs like superchargers etc. That said, it's more than adequate for me at the moment.

imported_Legrath

for 8-10k (presuming your in the UK) I would go for a 1.8T Quattro (180bhp stock, chip to 220bhp'ish cheaply and easily) for a revvy sports ride , or a 2.8 Quattro 30v (193hp) if you prefer the smoother delivery of a larger NA engine.

Test drive both, see which u prefer.

8-10k should get you the facelift model.

imported_scrupes

i bought an A4 2.6 Quattro in september last year, it s not particulary fast but has plenty torque, it's got no real performance mod's available that could benefit its reasonable 150bhp v6 engine.Looking back i should have spent more and bought the later 2.8 30v motor (200ish bhp), or, like the majority of the people on here, got me a 1.8T motor.

i can get aprox 35 mpg if i drive like a grandad, upto 25mpg at 30 round town and less than 10mpg on full throttle [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] (sounds gr8 though).have you checked for insurance quotes yet?. i got quotes of 874.64 fully comp for a 1.8 t quattro, 782.00 for the 2.8 30v quattro and 455.26 for mine, guess what persueded me ?

my time over i would go with the 1.8 t...

my plan is to fit the bi-turbo engine. in time..!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

4th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    scrupes said:

my plan is to fit the bi-turbo engine. in time..!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me geez, it's not a simple swap job

1st Gear

Status

I would definately go for a 1.8T Quattro Sport - I have had mine for two years now (the first car I have had for more then six months without getting bored).

The Quattro sport has 180BHP as standard and a chip plus exhaust will get this up to c.220BHP with loads of mid range. This mod costs about 1000 all in and will bring the car up to TT 225 performance - as a few surprised TT drivers have found :-) Just a chip seems to get around 210 BHP and costs around 500.

The interior can take a little getting used to but the handling is great.

If you want to start adding more power the standard engine will go up to around 240BHP with a big turbo and full exhaust - that a fair bit more and by that stage you need to think about brake upgrades; for some reason Audi's seem to be relatively poor on the braking front as standard.

imported_scrupes

[ QUOTE ]
    excursion said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me geez, it's not a simple swap job

[/ QUOTE ]

I know!.. i know a mate of mine has done it b4, we are lucky enough to know a gr8 mechanical genious who's gr8 at this type of thing! problem is.. the parts req'd... rare and pricey!!

one day huh?... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

imported_VaulterTim

Good lad... I don't think a new exhaust and chip would be much use in the kitchen [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

imported_Larcx

[ QUOTE ]
    VaulterTim said:
    Good lad... I don't think a new exhaust and chip would be much use in the kitchen [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I could always hang the old exhaust in the new kitchen as a bit of a feature....... it might go with all of the chrome appliances and extras the Mrs wants............!!!!!!

Aint no stoppin me know - and the Mrs (reluctantly) knows this.....te he [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif[/img]

imported_PaulGerry

Hi

Thanks for the help and advice, will think about the T sports model. Maybe i need to find someone to go for a test drive or something