what hid kit to get?

ian52

2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow
Reaction score
im going to get an hid kit for my facelift b5 but anybody got any recomendations on what one to go for? i will just get one of the cheaper ones off ebay and prob go for the 4300k. the facelift halogen lights are gash on dipped beam so want decent lights for this winter.

they are doing them for £79 now. how were they when fitted?

I got a 55w H7 5000k from ebay for my temp car they was about £38 delivered from china , I drove to Poland with them and even with the beams pointing the wrong way they lit up the autobahns like a treat with a nice white colour no blue either.

I had a cheap eBay kit fitted a while ago which I really didn't rate. Infact I'd go as far as saying they were worse than halogen bulbs. Doing 80 on a dark stretch of Motorway was quite terrifying!

Ended up going back to eBay and spending around £100 on a better kit from one of the UK sellers (Aceparts_UK) and they are brilliant. Would say these are just as bright as the OEM xenons.

Make sure you go for a 50-55W kit.

Ive done a lot of business in the past with hidsdirect ,very well set up company with plenty of stock and specific kits for difficult cars etc

I drove to Poland with them and even with the beams pointing the wrong way they lit up the autobahns like a treat

So instead of pushing two levers to set the lenses to LHD mode, you thaught it would be a good idea to drive across europe blinding every oncoming driver with your illegal HID kit?

:think:

headlamp beam deflectors and no they are not illegall they are selfleveling with washers and even wipers . If it was that easy i would of done that but unfortunately it wasnt.

oh and just to be extra considerate there is a manuall switch too so i kept them down too

The OEM Xenons are the only lamps type approved for HID's.

Both the OEM Xenons and the facelift Valeo projectors everyone retrofits them into have little levers inside the casing to switch from RHD to LHD mode. You dont need beam deflectors.

Unless of course it wasnt the S4 you drove to poland, and reading the thread again you said "my temp car" so maybe it wasnt :p

No it wasnt it was a volvo v40 , The S4 is dead and im sure it would of cost me like £500 each way as opposed to £100 each way

so back to the original question....
which ones would people recommend, ones off ebay for under £50 or some more expensive ones? also what colour. 4300k or 5k

The one in mine is a 35w cheapy form the bay, been in there for 3 years. I have had to replace one bulb( well pair and the working one went to spare)
The A3 has 55w cheapy kit and is still working 1 year on. Both cars run 4300k bulbs for the best light output.

Oh also no problems on either with DIS bulb failiure lights

Before i get told off, they both obviously have washers and self levelers blah blah,lol

Dont for get the type approved lamps mark :p

I know i go on about it, but i just like to make sure people are informed.

I have no issue with people running them as long as they're aligned properly and not blinding everyone this side of Mars, but many people have no idea of the legal aspects of installing them as the companies selling the retrofit kits are usually rather light on the details.

I know that mate, just pulling your leg,and ensuring that i in now way condone anyone to fit illegal HIDs etc.

I have 55W 6000K very nice colour and great light output bought them from hids4u.co.uk

i have the facelift a4 and the light output is weak. so need the best output more then colour.
will have a look at their site and see what they have to offer.
cheers

The further you stray from the OE 4300k the worse the light output and color gets.

i'd try and stay below 5k if you dont want it to look blue.

yeah was thinking the max i'd go would be 5k...
time to shop around now.

My 6k set dont look blue at all they are very clear and white. if you go above 6+ then they start to get much more blue.

Facelift light are verging on dangerous if you ask me. Drove to thurso in the dark in ******* rain and they are naff on dip. I had to use the front fogs so I could see half decent. It gets a whole lot worse when o car with bright hids is behind you.

Ian, having been in both my brothers S4 with OE Xenons, and our A4 with retrofitted halogen projectors i can say that while yes the HID's are brighter, they dont actually illuminate any more of the road.

How much they illuminate is governed by the beam cutoff on the projector, which is the same on both setups.

I mean sure the HID's were brighter, but only to the beam cutoff, and on a dark windy country road, it can feel as though that cutoff it a bit too close, however i cant say i'd call the halogens dangerous, they're just not as bright. On both cars you can clearly see the line of the beam cutoff.

If you think they are dangerous, then i suggest you first check the alignment of the lamps before going any further. The fact the foglights helped atall does suggest there is a problem. The foglights only really act as infill at the corners in my experience. They improve the lighting at the sides of the road, but dont make any odds in the middle where the main projector is shining.

Theres a guide floating around that shows you how to set the alignment of the projectors in relation to each other and the road, i'd give that a spin.

HID beams do travel further than halos, it's not just the fact they're brighter.

Halos in projector headlamps do not illuminate anywhere as good as pre-facelift triple halos. The ellipsoid lense within the polycarbonate case was designed with HID bulbs in mind, and are crap compared to halogen bulbs in regular parabolic reflectors.

The distance the beam travels is set by the alignment of the headlamp unit.

Since the projectors are the same, the beam cutoff will land exactly the same distance from the nose of the car with both HID's and halogens.

On our halogens, driving up an unlit country road, at night, this beam cutoff is very clear, and just like the HID's everything ahead of the beam cutoff is black. On both cars you need main beam to see any great distance up the road.

The lit up area is brighter on the Xenons sure, but the beam physically cant travel any further, unless one of the cars headlamps is aligned incorrectly.

Sure the older lamps might have been better, but only because they have a completely different reflector setup and dont have such a pronounced beam cutoff.

If he's saying they're that bad that they're dangerous, then i'd say they're not working properly.

The beam is far enough in front of me,it's just very dull. If a newer car is behind me I'm driving in my own shadow. The fog lights just light up the sides of the road and make it a bit better.

Ian,
I had the same problem as you mate. and finally after saving up some P's I went on ebay and bought a supervision 50W H7 4.3k HID kit from hid's direct. money well spent. light output it amazing. highly recommend mate. PM me and i'll drop you a pic. you can compare for yourself.

50w hid must be insane. ive got a 35w 4300k set and theyre identical to other oem hid set

i heard with 55w you can see through the hill and if you drive past bushes too quickly it can set them alight

don't think you can get 55W. but you can get 50W. and what speed to light up bushes... lol

god know, but hids changed my life. my golf was so much more awesome with them. they are aligned sensibly so dont blind people so i couldnt be happier. 50w must be awesome though

i know the feeling. money well spent if you ask me. better then wasting money on testing all kinds of bulbs. just save up and get the real deal.

my hid set is in an old golf, i dont own an s4 yet. mine are hidden under the slam panel

S4's will have the HID's anyway.

Izzy: The default location on a factory HID car is directly underneath the headlight. Theres a recess in the headlamp casing and the ballast fits in there. Your aftermarket ballasts might not fit under there though.

cheers aragorn, i'll just pin it somewhere in the engine bay out of the way.