THS Exhaust Manifold -ever fitted one ?

AdamsDad

Reaction score
Jst got my new manifold and tired fitting it yesterday.Ok up to putting nuts back on along the top and :wtf: no room the put the nuts on !!.After alittle :keule:got some on but unable to tighten up. Any ideas any one pls:sos:

I removed the studs from the head and used socket head cap screws(m8 x 40 iirc ) and installed most of them into the mani before attempting to fit it. I then used a long ball ended 6mm allen key with additional lever handle to get them tight

The only problem with that is that your torqueing the bolts up against an alloy head...

Your at more of a risk of ripping the threads out the head than using studs.

I suspect you'll need to modify some spanners or something to get into them.

Will not get a spanner in there, i tried all sorts 1/4 dr sockets are too big even. Using the allen bolts is a common mod but as stated care must be taken. It why the length is important, any longer bottoms out, and any shorter may strip the threads

surely that is very bad design if you cant bolt it on properly?

Thks Mark,a fountain of knowlwedge,what would we do without you :respekt: ....Did you use the washers with the bolts when fitting? I was expecting to have to make a tool or socket.:think:
I have pm THS about this. I’ll post their reply when I get it.
Should be interesting.

I used the Thick washers i think as the first lot of bolts i had were slightly longer so i used the thick washers, i have got pics somewhere......

Best i could find

100_2318.jpg

100_2319.jpg

goose neck open ended spanner

This is reply I got from THS , Not sure about filing though LOLl

It should be possible to fit without removal of the head. You may find it easier to use a spanner rather than a socket on some of the nuts. Are you sure that the manifold is located true on the head. We had one customer mention that the top of the manifold flange just came into contact with the top of the head casting and he had to file a small piece of the top of the manifold.

Hope this helps