Turbo issues

gaz71

1.8T Quattro Sport AJL
Reaction score
Following on with my lack of power problems I have mentioned before I thought I would check to see if the turbo was still turning freely or seized. While underneath I found a tear in the TIP under the jubilee clip connecting the TIP to the turbo. This clip was rusty and a bitch to get off so not discounting the possiblity that the damage was caused by me. Ordered a new one from stealer, pick it up and fit it tomorrow. Had a look at the turbo and it does turn freely but I noticed some very slight play along with a light coating of oil. The TIP also had a layer of oily gunk but I'm assume most of this is from the breather system. I'm guessing the play in the turbo is not good and may be a sign that the turbo is on it's way out.
I better start saving and searching for a k03-s or maybe a k04.

most turbos have play unless its brand new

If it has axial play, ie in/out, then thats bad, but a little side to side play is commonplace on turbos with any sort of mileage on them, and as long as its not flapping around it will be fine.

most turbos have play unless its brand new

If it has axial play, ie in/out, then thats bad, but a little side to side play is commonplace on turbos with any sort of mileage on them, and as long as its not flapping around it will be fine.

That's a relief. No axial play just a sight side to side. Hopefully the new TIP will cure my problems.

Fitted new TIP. Car is running nicer but not really exhibiting any more power. Still feels like there is no turbo. My quest for the solution goes on........

Hi,

I have a similar issue. Seems like the car has no turbo at all. How has your search gone? Any further forward as some help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Have you scanned for fault codes?

If the ecu detects certain faults it will default to wastegate pressure, which is about 4psi, and it will feel rather dead.

have a look at the pipe that goes from the turbo actuator to the inlet..this could have came off/ split/ cracked ect ect ...(mine done it last week)..:icon_thumright:

i bought a 18t sport avant ran it for three months thinking it was just slow ,until the turbo started to rattle ,when i took the turbo off the nut that holds ther actuator arm to the wast gate had come off ,thus no boost when fixed it went really well.
also a quick cheak,undo the three bolts that hold the exust pipe and make sure the wastgate is still atached this can drop off and go into the cat and then you wont get any boost.