S4 drivetrain knock

marsie

Reaction score
on my 1999 s4 i have a knock from the drivetrain when i take up drive a bit quick?. I have had a look under the car and at the front of the engine(just above the sump) there is a cast prong stuck out into a hole in a bracket on the front crossmember-Should this have a bush on it?
The reason i ask is because mine hasnt but i can see contact marks on the brackets?
Cheers
Paul

Sounds like your missing the snub mount bush , dont know how it would fall out tho?

Hmm,looks like something else i will have to get.Is it easy enough to change or is it a front end off job?
Thanks for the info
Paul

On a 1.8 you can just about squeeze it in without moving the front end into service position, no idea if thats possible on a V6 though.

had it over pit today and it looks a tight squeeze:sadlike:,looks like the front ends got to come off
Paul

pop the bumper off and the front panel can be moved forward a little bit to get into it. Certaintly doesnt all need to come off.

thanks for the info guys,got a new snub kit coming early next week but wondering whether to do other engine/gearbox mounts at the same time??
What do you reckon?
Paul

on my 1999 s4 i have a knock from the drivetrain when i take up drive a bit quick?. I have had a look under the car and at the front of the engine(just above the sump) there is a cast prong stuck out into a hole in a bracket on the front crossmember-Should this have a bush on it?
The reason i ask is because mine hasnt but i can see contact marks on the brackets?
Cheers
Paul

is it a clunk from the rear diff if so i have the exact same problem on my 2.8 quattro a6 avant if i release the clutch slowly it does not happen . how do you suppose a snub mount could go missing very strange

all i can think is it has worn so bad its fell out?The rest of the suspension links were shot so this may have been neglected too.There is no obvious way it can come out i 1 piece.The clunk is definately from the front end and only does it if i give it a bootful in 1st,had bar in rear diff mounts but cant feel any movement

Yeah I reckon you will be able to get a snub in with out taking the front off.

How I did mine was with the car on the ramp get a mate to use a big bar like a lever to give you a bit more room and slot it in.

You should maybe get an uprated one while your replacing it.