facelift v's pre-facelift parts

Geeman

Low Life
Reaction score
I'm looking for a few bits and bobs for my Sport following the flame-related incident yesterday.

To get rid of ALL the evidence of the fire, I could do with a new front panel. I've seen some new ones listed, but only for 95-99 models. Is there any difference between the facelift and pre-facelift front panels?

Also, are all front panels the same, or are there different ones for TDi's and V6's & 1.8's...?

Is there any difference in the engine bay at all for the two supposed models?

Cheers in advance for any info!

Giles

Last edited:
i think aircon/non aircon panels are different and pre facelift bonnet locks are different (alarm switch built in to lock on facelift) youd need a 5mm ish spacer to screw lock in place to a pre facelift slam panel

Hmmmm... I've taken my air-con rad off anyway, so I'm guessing there'll be no problem with that that.

5mm spacer... hmmmmm. Will have to look in to that then.

Cheers for the help!

Long story...

No aircon pump on the car when I bought it, so I stripped it all off.

Kinda wish I didn't do that now.

I still have the air-con rad in storage, but dumped everything else.

D'oh, was gonna ask if you had all the bits.

I fancy trying a retrofit, but buying all the components individually would be prohibitively expensive, and no-one sells the stuff as a complete set.

It's a case of finding a breaker then I guess...

A Passat would have the same system I think.

ye i'll check the parts catalog later.

Dunno if the passat will have the same things, but its not hard to check.

I looked into it a while back, because i fancied installing a 7" touchscreen connected to a PC in the dashboard, and my manual twisty controls are in the way. Gave up because it would be a nightmare unless i had a convenient source of all the parts.

Pre-facelift front clip is different - if you run your projector headlamps on a pre-facelift panel, you'll have no where to fit the third torx screw (outer lower).

With all the different engine types available, and air con options, between the pre-facelift and facelift items, there are about 10 available, and that doesn't include S4 and RS4 either.

I installed facelift lamps and dont remember missing any screws? Infact the prefacelift lamps had an additional one which wasnt present on the facelifts on the inside iirc?

Both early and late cars have the inner lower screw, which you seldom remove, you simply offer the inner lower part of the headlamp to the locating slot, which is secured by a screw.

Facelift headlimps don't have the lower outer secured horizontally - i.e behind the indicator, as early 2-piece units do. The screw goes in vertically, and pre-facelift front panels don't have the hole with metal insert to accept the screw.

which front clips are the same as the S4 pre-facelift with aircon?

Short answer, none.

S4 has aperture for mounting the twin intercoolers, though with a bit of cutting of a stock V6 lock carrier, it can be used.

Prices from Audi are the same, be it an early 1.8T or late S4. Only different priced one is that of the RS4.