JMB RetrofitsBadger5
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    sam4191's Avatar
    If In doubt, Flat out!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Highcliffe, Dorset
    Posts
    399

    Rubbing Plastic under arches

    Hello!!

    Maybe I am being silly here, but since I lowered my car, My wheels have been rubbing the plastic arch protector things. They're not touching the wings at all. I'm just wondering what I can do to stop the scuffing. My dad has mentioned the obvious (make the front slightly higher), but I don't want to do this as it's only the plastic.

    I'm also thinking that just removing the plastic liner will be stupid, and won't do the car any good.

    Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and cured it??

    For referance I am running 225/35/19.

    Thanks

    Sam


  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,597
    I'd go with your dad's suggestion, and RAISE the front a bit.

    Other option is to run 18" wheels, as 19" versions are a tad big for a B5. In view of cost, I'd say it'd be cheaper to raise the front.

    If you're tempted to start chopping chunks out of your plastic liners, you might as well have none fitted, a no-brainer in my opinion.

  4. #3
    sam4191's Avatar
    If In doubt, Flat out!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Highcliffe, Dorset
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by Siena View Post
    I'd go with your dad's suggestion, and RAISE the front a bit.

    Other option is to run 18" wheels, as 19" versions are a tad big for a B5. In view of cost, I'd say it'd be cheaper to raise the front.

    If you're tempted to start chopping chunks out of your plastic liners, you might as well have none fitted, a no-brainer in my opinion.

    Hmm... Ok, looks like I'll have to do what I hate... Admit he's right. lol!

    Yeh, to be quite honest, it does seem very sensible, thought as the car is at the moment, it sits perfect on the wheels. It only rubs when i take a corner too quick, or hit a large bump.

    18"'s are tempting... feel like a change too tbh. Don't have the money to waste if it doesn't cure it.

    Will put std. wheels back on tomorrow and run them for a couple of days... see what happens.

    Thanks for the comment! =D


  5. #4
    Geeman's Avatar
    Low Life

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Grimsby
    Posts
    1,318
    You got a pic of it as it is...?

    40mm doesn't sound a lot to have lowered it to cause this problem.

    Mind you, although I'm running VERY low, I'm only on 215 tyres.
    NEW 6 cylinder 40mm front springs - £40

    PM me for more info

  6. #5
    jcb
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    4,077
    get some decent suspension and it won't roll as much.
    how low are you?, can you get a finger inbetween the tyre and arch pushing it in from the side horizontally?

  7. #6
    Geeman's Avatar
    Low Life

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Grimsby
    Posts
    1,318
    LOL - I can't on mine!
    NEW 6 cylinder 40mm front springs - £40

    PM me for more info

  8. #7
    gaz71's Avatar
    1.8T Quattro Sport AJL

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Torbay
    Posts
    287
    Sam,

    Slightly off topic but what is an "unrestricted airbox" Sound's interesting.

  9. #8
    jcb
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    4,077
    open it up and remove anything that doesn' make up the outer casing

  10. #9
    gaz71's Avatar
    1.8T Quattro Sport AJL

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Torbay
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    open it up and remove anything that doesn' make up the outer casing
    The only things inside my airbox are the MAF unit and inlet (which secures the MAF unit in place). Any pics?

  11. #10
    sam4191's Avatar
    If In doubt, Flat out!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Highcliffe, Dorset
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeman View Post
    You got a pic of it as it is...?

    40mm doesn't sound a lot to have lowered it to cause this problem.

    Mind you, although I'm running VERY low, I'm only on 215 tyres.
    I do, but I need to update that... It's lower than 40mm now.(on Jamex(cheap!) adjustable coilovers) Just put the std. wheels back on. Ride is so much nicer, corners a bit floppier (tyre walls), Importantely doesn't rub! =D lol!

    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    get some decent suspension and it won't roll as much.
    how low are you?, can you get a finger inbetween the tyre and arch pushing it in from the side horizontally?
    Yeh, this is true... I dont have much money though

    I can get a finger and a half in. Too high IMO! lol!

    Quote Originally Posted by gaz71 View Post
    Sam,

    Slightly off topic but what is an "unrestricted airbox" Sound's interesting.
    HAHA! It's my gay way of saying cold air flow bit on top is off and has a very large hole in bottom of air box. lol!


  12. #11
    gaz71's Avatar
    1.8T Quattro Sport AJL

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Torbay
    Posts
    287
    Ah I see. That makes perfect sense now

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO