S4 b5 lcd display

marsie

Reaction score
i have just bought a 1999 S4.But the previous owner damaged the LCD screen trying to repair it(it looks as though he has cracked the screen) so it has to be turned off all the time.Is it posible to get the lcd replaced or will i need a complete clockset?
Cheers
Paul

Welcome to the forum, not easy to change the LCD better off changing the whole clock, looks like yours is a pre facelift im sure i saw 1 on ebay although they will suffer from display fade it (common fault) it should be better than what you have now.

Then all you is someone with vagtacho to reprogram the new clocks, stealers charge a fortune for this

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, not easy to change the LCD better off changing the whole clock, looks like yours is a pre facelift im sure i saw 1 on ebay although they will suffer from display fade it (common fault) it should be better than what you have now.

Then all you is someone with vagtacho to reprogram the new clocks, stealers charge a fortune for this

sounds expensive?:blownose:,will have to keep my eyes open for a set on ebay,as well as a new concert radio:keule:
thanks for the advice
Paul:scared2:

Been thinking(i must try and stop!) if i were to get a second hand clockset with a lcd display,would it be possible for somebody handy with a soldering iron to swap the lcd,cos S4 dashs seem a bit thin on the ground at the mo and maybe this wouldnt need programming at the stealership??
Any ideas?
Paul

you would need a degree in soldering, marsie. a friend of mine is breaking one from his car, however he is away on holiday shortly and will have to wait on his return. Where are you located?

BBA Reman replace the LCD screen and reprogram it.

I got my ABS ECU done by them and I was very impressed at the turnaround time.

Only disavantage in sending to BBA is you will have to take the clocks out and send it to them therefore you wont be able to drive your car. Also i think the LCD display is broken im wondering if they actually change the screen or repair it? IIRC they charge around £220

Last edited:
A used cluster is a bit of a risk - most will suffer from fading pixels when warm, so no way to test before buying.

Add the cost of coding, if you don't do it yourself, and cost of actual cluster.

Sure, if you send it off, you can't use the car, but I'd just treat it as a broken clutch / timing belt, in which case, you'd find a way to get around till it's fixed. I'd prefer the inconvenience of the car being laid up for a few days, at least I'd know the cluster was fixed.

I also get the clusters repaired, and warranty is 60 months (5 years). LCD is replaced. No programming is required, as the IMMO microprocessor is untouched, and is therefore plug-and-play. Never had any issues to date with the 15-odd I've sent out either.

thats a good warranty cant argue with that, you can see in his picture that the screen looks cracked will they replace the screen as well if so how much would that cost including carriage?

Not sure how much they charge at BBA.

We do the replacement of the LCD, regardless of if it's merely faded or cracked, at a cost of £200.

Do you do the replacement LCDs yourself? if so i would be interested in getting mine sorted if you could do it?
Cheers
Paul

Marsie, they are replaced on our behalf, I don't do them myself.