New to Audi, Wanting Advice on buying an S4 B5

a2k00

Reaction score
Hi there, I've always had Japanese cars, So I've sold my GT-Four and have decided I want an Audi S4 B5, I have about 6k to spend, Are there any common faults or advice someone could give on buying one would be most grateful.

i think theres a buyers guide one click back from here.
joss

hopefully you should be able to get a facelift S4 99.5 on if not save up a bit more, the differences are worth it.
here is a general guide of the differences

Dimensions.

A4 1999.5 changes.

a444.jpg

a443.jpg

i would say there are optional extras as it also mentions double height symphony radio, which was an option,

6k is a decent amount of cash, like mark said dont rush into it, took me 6mnths to find the right one. you should get a nice one for that money too, try and get the best colour!!! nogaro blue like mine:) and defo try get a facelift as the differences are very noticeable, good luck with the search

I wasn't too fussed about facelifts when I was hunting to be honest.

I looked at a lot of facelifts, but I ended up with my prefacelift as it was the right colour, right 75K mileage, right interior colour, right history, right seller, right upgrades etc etc.

Ye i dont think the faceliftness is so important. The only real exterior cue is the door handles. Headlights are two-piece but better looking than the halogen ones anyway.

Interior parts can all be changed if you want, and i'd rather have the right mechanicals/body color etc and have to swap some trim around than a facelift car in the wrong color!

Indeed.

My S4 came with a few bits off that above list ANYway (S4 door sill trims, white repeater indicators, ESP, colour coded interior trim etc).

I now have different wheels, rear spoiler and facelift door mirrors etc anyway. I certainly won't be stressing about different wiper arms :)

I might pop some facelift vents in at some point, but that's about it.

why spend money changing bits to a facelift when you can get the whole package? surely a facelift aint that much more expensive

why spend money changing bits to a facelift when you can get the whole package? surely a facelift aint that much more expensive

Our point was that it doesn't bother everybody whether it's a facelift one or NOT, so long as it's the 'right car'. As long as the 'meat and potatoes' are there so to speak. The experience is essentially the same.

I personally haven't consciously spent money changing bits to go in a facelift direction, but we just meant that a few quid would change some of the aesthetic points if one was that way inclined ;)

fair point dan, i have a snob of a mind thats all thats why i go for the best that i think i can get. any S4 is good or Audi for that matter so happy hunting and hope you get your S4 soon mate so you can experience it:)

i have a snob of a mind thats all thats why i go for the best that i think i can get.

Furry **** dude ;)

As I say though, I turned down a few good potential facelifts for my pre-facelift.

In fact I noticed that the other S4 I testdrove back in May was a facelift, but I was somewhat more interested in the 430bhp that was pinning me in my seat than digital clock lol

guys, i know this is a very very old thread...but for the sake of anyone currently looking for a b5 s4 (like me), i found the following page quite helpful/good read:

http://www.strikeengine.com/audi-tuning/s4-tuning-buying-guide.html

and especially this part:

1. Boost leaks, not a problem in itself but they can lead to the turbos over speeding as they try and maintain the programmed pressure. Woo ooo like noises from the turbos can point to them needing changing in the not to distant future. Screaming sounds from the turbos will mean they are shot. It's 1200GBP plus VAT to change the turbos.

2. MAF sensor, if this fails the hotter exhaust gases can destroy the lambda and EGT sensors, 106 per side for the lambda and 139 for the EGT sensors. 80GBP for the MAF.

3. Recirculating boost valves, the diaphragm can fail leading to loss of boost and therefore power. S3 ones can be used as replacements as they are only 24GBP. Uprated valves are also available from Forge Motorsport.

These 3 faults can get by a Audi main dealer service as they don't trigger fault codes.

does anyone have anything to add to this? i too have around 5-6k to spend, but dont want to fall into the trap of buying a stinker of a car. anyone know of any other common faults or what to look out for when buying one of these STUNNING cars?

Cheers