What a night !!! no-one to blame but myself

ginna104

Reaction score
tonight i thought it would be good to have a ride to leeds bradford airport to wait for the girlfriend to land back from crawley so, i decide to pull onto a bit of ruff pot holed road to watch a few planes land and kill half hour !! as i pulled on my phone rang i picked it up and THUMP i'd gone down a massive pot hole and hit the sump !! being alloy it cracked and spewed all the oil out !!! just got recovered home now so well pee'd off !!! has any one got a alloy sump pan for a 2.8 v6 ack eng code audi a4 quattro ????

cheers !!

I had my alloy sump on an old BMW E30 325i welded...

If not too bad chemical metal may help you out for a while, I had to do it on my 1.8T after hitting a speed hump lasted over 2 months without a leak and only replaced when I had the oil pump replaced.

Not sure what its like on the v6 but getting the sump off on a 1.8t is a real joy

are you kidding? i've never looked on my s4 yet. why does nearly everything involve removing the engine

This thread has reminded me that i really need to look at making a sump guard, im now running 35 profiles on the font and the suspension is the lowest its ever been, if i smashed the sump id be sick as a chip

I would imagine the busted part on the V6 is the lower part - easier to replace than that of the 1,8T, which is all one piece.

On the V6, the lower part replacement can be done without lowering the subframe / raising the engine.

I know my V8, and i think also Craigs S4, both have a two piece sump, with a cast alloy housing on the bottom of the block, then a pressed steel "pan" underneath.

I would assume the 30v's are the same?

If thats the case then changing the pressed steel pan shouldnt be too bad?

The ACK lower pan is also cast aluminium, and is easy to replace.

Worth noting, there are 2 types - with and without provision for fitting the oil quality sensor.

its proper chocka my engine bay yes, even changing a bulb is a job for stick insect arms

as said its a 2 piece sump and it's the lower pan thats cracked, just put the car onto ramps the undid the 4 bolts on the antiroll bar then about 15 sump bolts and off it came, sealed the new one and put it back on, £73.00 i shouldn't have needed to spend though !!! but now iv'e learnt my lesson no off roading LOL

as said its a 2 piece sump and it's the lower pan thats cracked, just put the car onto ramps the undid the 4 bolts on the antiroll bar then about 15 sump bolts and off it came, sealed the new one and put it back on, £73.00 i shouldn't have needed to spend though !!! but now iv'e learnt my lesson no off roading LOL

And no using your phone whilst on the move, I'd say you got off lightly.

Out of interest, how low is your car?

hi mate ye no phone's iv'e been told by the missus !!! lol as far as i no mate its standard height but the crater was massive !!!