Monster MotorsportEM Tuning

Thread: Fuel leak!!

Neutral

Status

Fuel leak!!

Hey all, was wondering if someone could perhaps shed some light on this. I've just returned from holiday so my B5 S4 has been sitting peacefully in the drive for about 2 weeks without moving a muscle. After returning, I've gone to start the car and probably left it idle for around 10 minutes.

After going out for a short drive and returning I've noticed a patch on the floor (about the size of a rugby ball... maybe bigger) which upon putting my finger in smelt strongly of petrol. At least one part of the patch was fresh.

Just had this checked out today and there is indeed a leak from the top of the fuel tank area, but for the last 2 weeks the car has been on less than 1/4 tank full. Fuel patch was at the back of the car, more to the driver side and around the fuel tank area. I can't figure out what could have happened here... I'm quite concerned! Any ideas?

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Craigs S4 did exactly the same thing, and it was one of the unions on the fuel filter. It seemed to have got a bit rusty or something, and started leaking without ever having been touched.

We baught a new filter and went to change it, then realised the tank needs dropped to do it, so instead just heaved on the union to tighten it up a bit more and that seemed to fix it.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Neutral

Status
    Ah really! Very interesting.. thanks for the quick reply, I'll give that a go. Might also be worth mentioning that it has'nt happened since, not sure if Craigs leaked more than once?

6th Gear

Status
    MRC had seen some cars recently which had been filled up with a suspected dodgy batch of V-Power which had caused the fuel lines to corrode.
    Mo power, mo problems

Reverse Gear

Status
    nothing to do with the fuel problem but leaving any car to warm at idle isnt good for it