Chris NottBadger5
    Reverse Gear

Status

Power Steering Help...

Hi All in the forum...

Ok I have a '97 Audi A4 30v V6 Quattro, now I went for the dreaded MOT and it failed on Leaking steering rack, lower front suspention arm play in ball joint and rear linkage on anti roll bar...

So 4 days and $1032.61 later I get the car back with all the above fixed with new parts..

Since getting it back the car at Idle and anything under 1500 RPM has virtualy no easy power steering, very heavy indeed.. So I pop back and they tell me it needs a new power steering pump..
    Told them to order one in along with the steering damper which also is on back order,, Yep Rack has to come off again to fit damper..

Basic question is.... Is there any adjustment anywhere to make the steering lighter at slow engine speeds..
    Just need to use the car and steering would be nice...LOL..

Take care
    Julian...

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    No adjustment available to vary power assistance.

As for the worn damper...I'd have thought that's something that should have been spotted when the leaky rack was replaced. They'd have transferred it from the old rack to the new, and would have had to pull / push the piston in and out to fit it.

Basic stuff, how come they failed to draw your attention to it at that point? I think you need to query them on that!

And for reference, a worn damper won't really alter the feel of the steering. It's just there to absorb shock, something the fluid in an assisted system does very well. Interestingly, not all cars come with dampers, it's been virtually eliminated on later cars...

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi Siena,
    Thanks for your answer, Just have to wait for the pump then...
    Yeah about the damper... When they took the rack off they did tell me about it then, however there is none available and they have put it on order, so I dont like being without myown car for too long so I instructed them to put it all back together and then take it all apart again when the new damper arrived...

Yep lots of fun.....
    Back to ya all with other tales of woe and misery when they happen and I need help....LOL
    Cheers
    Julian.....

6th Gear

Status
    Lack of assistance would come from a faulty vane pump - have it pressure tested, they run at about 150 bar.