help in manchester area

andybnwc

Reaction score
Im part way through doing a engine pull in my stolen recovered S4 before i go and rent a crane has anyone near manchester got one i could borrow and maybe even help with the heavy bits ?

Hi andy i thought your S4 was when someone fell on it or have i mixed you up with someone else, whats wrong with your engine?

We had a break in and they stole the S4 and crashed it . the engine has broken of its mounts and moved back .I need to pull it complete with subframe to see whats actually broken.

Ok any tips on the propshaft bolts got 2 out but now need to turn it , i presume jacking 1 rear wheel will be enough to do this? would it help if i drop the subframe a little to get more space to work on them?

Andy, are you referring to the front half of the subframe, or rear?

yer if you jack a wheel and pop the tranny into neutral you should be able to turn the prop.

Not sure about lowering the subframe, i'm not too familiar with the underside of a quattro.

You don't need to lower the subframe, Andy.

ok no worries ill just give it a spin , one other thing where is the best to use axle stand when dropping the subframe?

If you remove the alloy shield from below the rear flange of the gearbox, its only 2 trorx screws, the prop ones are then accessable with it in place.

You will probably find the gearbox mounts sheared too, the pull i just did had intact engine mounts, but smashed gearbox ones, also the impact had pushed the timing belt cover into the belt shreading it and causing the belt to jump damaging velves

engine runs fine fortunatly but wont drive when in gear , i can get to the prop bolts just not much room to use a socket , i think it will help if i remove the twin pipes , think thats gonna be my next step