BT looks good!!

Lee Goodall

Reaction score
Nice work..

bt_conv.jpg

Looks good hey!.. Like the way they've kept the breather, N75 and DV (relocated to cold side) but it still looks fairly OEM.

It's not mine mate.. unfortunately!!

Think this one made around 400HP though.

Mine should hopefully look very similar when it's done.

looks like a 3076
would love to see how the compressor inlet and exhaust pipes are plumbed in, going through that headache myself.

Left hand drive?
any more pics?

Hmm, thats odd. Its running the B6 style coil packs with internal igniters...

And that breather setup isnt B5 either...

top or side mount exhaust mani is really the only option when you get past gt28rs size turbos as the chassis rail gets in the way.

gmgracing don't seem to have anything proprietary on their site, all seems to be APR or AWE kits and components.
personally I wouldn't have gone to all that trouble to keep the breather, catch can is the better option.
I am guessing but the height and angle of the turbo would suggest a full race rams horn tubular exhaust manifold.

Late B5 LHD they have all the fun over there,lol

Doesnt 034 do a kit to use the later coils for the DBW cars?

Yeah I'm not going to connect the breather back to the intake.
jcb have you got a catch can sorted? What you planning?

The engine seems to have a B6 valve cover and be running later coil packs as Aragorn said. Would this be beneficial in any way?

Lee, if i were you i'd connect the breather up as it should be.

I had a split Z pipe on ours when we got it, and the oil vapor smell in the cabin was nauseating if you were sat stationary at all.

Catch can vents the gas to the engine bay just like the split Z hose was doing, so i cant see it being any different, and its certainly not a nice feature.

Know where you're coming from as I had a MK1 Polo with a K&N on (CARB) and a smaller filter for the breather and it did stink.. saying that though the smell of petrol overpowered the oil lol.

Just seems much easier with TIP fabrication etc not to reconnect the breather.

there is one thing venting a catch can to the atmosphere but another running an OEM pipe straight from crank case and valve cover into teh TIP.
last thing I want is hot oily air going into my nice clean turbo.

there is a halfway point, catch can plumbed into the TIP. (or if you fancy some plumbing....the exhaust!)

Doesnt the breather system have an oil seperator anyway?

I've not looked too closely, but the old vauxhalls i ran all had a metallic mesh filter, a bit like wire wool, in the breather system to catch all the oil droplets.

Anything they dont filter out would surely be so small/vapourised that they pass straight thru the catch can and into the turbo anyway surely...

not aware of any, just a PCV.
some cars had a small mesh insert into the pipe work but it is a restrictiion that increase the pressure and ultimately the size of the droplets going into the intake.

idea behind the larger independant catch can is two fold.
It should be large enough that it produces a pressure/temperature drop to aid condensation of any vapour (oil and water).
I should contain enough internal mesh/screen/ absorption material to stop any through flow. Most decent ones also feature an internal reversion design where air flow has to do a full 180deg turn through material at a lower pressure to escape the can.

I know mate... p!ssing myself off now lol.

Turbo was planned for next week as I'm off work but got to replace the bottom aux. drive pulley & belt and sort the cam chain tensioner (or whatever it turns out to be).

Still need a 3" maf housing and air filter to complete the parts for the conversion.

Mark- I need to put that pulley on that I had from you and replace the belt as it's chirping like a good'en. The cam chain/tensioner is making some metallic noises that need further investigation before committing to more boost!

Yes mate if you still fancy a trip to the sunny midlands in a few weeks that'd be brilliant.. Maybe if I can get all of the parts together in time we can swap the loom and ECU too? :friends:

Last edited:
its a tight squeeze for a turbo and MAF with a mani that sits that far forward.
did you sort your inlet

Yeah I think the intake is all sorted.. excluding actually buying the increased diameter MAF and the air filter.

Going to use a 135 degree elbow from the intake on the turbo, then a 45 degree elbow, then an aluminium T for the DV valve, then a straight reducer up to 3" for the MAF with the self sealing barb connection for the N75, then the MAF and finally the filter.

I've planned it out and the 135 degree elbow allows you to position the MAF and filter close to where the airbox usually sits.. a bit hit or miss with space for the filter but I can trim some of the hoses back to create a bit more room.. hopefully!

Feck me that turbo's huge, you sure the car will keep up with it, lol.

Just to clarify.. none of these pictures are of my turbo/car in case I've given anyone the wrong impression. These pics are being used for research purposes.

I will however get pics up as soon as it goes together.

Still very large isnt it Lee, puts my hybrid to shame, lol

Yeah.. it does look like a very serious bit of kit. I'd be concerned about sucking small birds out of the sky if I I was running that lol.

This is mine compared to a K03..

t28andk03.jpg

lol, that KKK looks pathetic against the garrett huh, looks like a turbo for a toysrus car, lol

I'm running a hybrid K03 at the mo but should see a good increase in power with the T28 setup which includes..

Garrett Turbo
Exhaust Manifold
Decat pipe
3" maf housing
415cc injectors
Misc. hoses, air filter etc.

..and then a custom map to get it all running correctly.

you will like this then! robbed from vortex
I am stealing his manifold design a bit to push the turbo back into the engine bay.
i have the same exhaust housing although my merge collector is nicer!

Michel%20A4%20159.jpg

Michel%20A4%20170.jpg

Michel%20A4%20192.jpg

Michel%20A4%20197.jpg

Michel%20A4%20202.jpg

Michel%20A4%20214.jpg

Michel%20A4%20218.jpg

Michel%20A4%20222.jpg

Michel%20A4%20223.jpg

Michel%20A4%20226.jpg

Michel%20A4%20232.jpg

Michel%20A4%20251.jpg

Michel%20A4%20260.jpg

Michel%20A4%20264.jpg

Michel%20A4%20297.jpg

Michel%20A4%20302.jpg

The welding is a thing of beauty man, thats 1st class.