Does a TT Engine Fit in a 1999 A4 Quattro Sport?

GregC

Reaction score
Started this as a new post as the subject changed a bit....

I have been told a TT engine won't fit in my 1999 A4 1.8T Quattro Sport (current engine has bent con rods and damage pistons). Has anyone ever tried this - will it fit?

Needless to say I want the 225 BHP variant and I was under the impression my engine was the 180BHP version.

Thanks..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

i cant think how it could possibly fit normally anythng can be fitted with some modification, however it is a horizontially opposed engine, probably too hard to do!

My thinking is that the 1.8T engine is installed across the VAG world. My car has a 180BHP version as standard. This is the same output as the basic quattro TT. Do VAG produce completely different engines for the A4 install vs the TT install?

If the difference is fundamental then would 225 TT piston and con rods fit the A4 engine?

Trying the think of ways to improve the engine rather than replace stock with stock - if there are any other suggestions they would be gratefully received. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

let me think for a start the tt has the water pump behind the cambelt on yours its seperate however you may find that the top ends are the same all in all not worth trying, why dont you just repair your current engine?

If I repair the current engine I am limited to the boost that the current con rods/pistons can take. If I upgrade I get a cheap increase in power by allowing more boost (the internals are broken so the only cost difference is the difference between 225bhp con rods and pistons vs stock A4 180 bhp versions).

Would an S3 offer a better solution - ie is that the same way round as my engine?

[ QUOTE ]
GregC said:

Would an S3 offer a better solution - ie is that the same way round as my engine?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope still tranverse....

Why not look at the full hog of an S4 engine, that'll definately fit!

The internals on the standard engine are proven to be good for around 350hp, although I'd say keep it down to 300 and you'll be alright, so why not just look at a big turbo option....

I have done a little research on this... I think the blocks are the same? You may need to change around the mounting brackets etc, but I believe they all use the same block.

As for the internals:

The 150/80HP model has thin rods ( Up to 250-300lbs/ft at a push) and 9.5:1 comp ratio pistons.

The 210/225HP model has stronger rods (up to 350lbs/ft) and 9.0:1 comp ratio pistons.

Apart from those few differences they are more or less the same.

The ideal thing to do would be to get a set of JE pistons. These bump the cc to just under 1900 @ 8.0:1 comp ratio and do not cost much more than the original VAG pistons. The next bonus here is the piston/stroke size is similar and the car revs freely. Running the 8.0:1 comp ratio means you get a little less torque (Made up for by the 1900cc) but a hell of a lot more power for the same amount of boost.

Finally - either get a set of 210/225 rods(upto 350BHP safely 400 at a push) or idealy a set of pauter steel forged rods (expensive but 500BHP+ ) and you will have a strong bottom end.

So in summary... JE pistons, whatever rods you can get hold of and re-build your existing bottom end.

A cheap option may be to get a factory re-build from Audi - in the UK it is about £900 for a TT/225 bottom end exchange.

Contact me if nothing here makes sense - quite possible!

You could also take a look at TSR for a 2 ltr upgrade in conjunction with big turbo and remap.

get another 1.8t sport engine and get it chipped and a few other mods then it will have the same output as the TT engine....