Stoooopid

Rallyman

LPG Abuser & have VAGCOM
Reaction score
Oh dear, ive been rather silly, whilst taking pictures at a motorsport event, I left my laptop on top of the gear lever, while the engine was running. I should REALLY REALLY REALLY know better not to. Drove the car home and changing up or down into 4th gets a crunch - like Ive abused the 4th gear syncro - oh poooo.
I have a 1.8 quattro T sport with the AJL engine.
I'm looking for answers to my options, (no abuse please the misses has done that already).
Rebuild - whats the cost approx of a 'box rebuild? And who is good for a Quattro box rebuild?
2nd hand, what are my options here, I wouldnt mind going for a 6 speed, but how do I get to find out about the diff ratio's? is there a model type?
Also Im meant to be putting the car on a rolling road soon, what are the chances of it going bang?
Yours REALLY p*^$£d off
Michael

Hmmm. I can't help you out with a fix but I can't imagine that the laptop on the gear stick would cause an issue?
Re, your box. There are a couple of posts knockin around re 5spd to 6 spd conversions. Cheapest option, if it is fubar. Swap out for a recon or replacement part.

AJL-engined quattro is a rare car in the UK.

Cheaper to buy a replacement tranny - PM Docurley on here, I'm sure he still has his for sale.

Sounds like the laptop has been pushing the gear lever against 4th, wearing out the synchro rings.

New box time unfortunatley.

I think you'll be fine on the rolling road though.

Sounds like the laptop has been pushing the gear lever against 4th, wearing out the synchro rings.

New box time unfortunatley.

I think you'll be fine on the rolling road though.

Yes, thats what the laptop has done - toasted the syncro's :(

How am I going to find out the ratio of the front diff to ensure that the replacement is correct, I'm new to messing too much with my Audi transmission!!! Though one thing for certain it did need a new clutch :p
Are all the ratio's on Quat's the same?
Is there somewhere to look this up?
I will search the 5 to 6 speed conversions!
Cheers
Michael

P.s. so whats the AJL engine got that the others dont?

I think the AJL is a 1.8TQS engine? 180hp rather than 150 and a slightly different turbo afaik.

1.8TQS' are rather rare in general, but i'd imagine another TQS box should do the trick.

should have a k03-s but mine dont:sob:

Ok thanks, hopefully that means it "might" not have a different 'box, yes it is the 180bhp TQS. Oh yes its an avant as well!
So what the easiest way to find out about the box ratio's - time to speak to my stealer?
I spose if I ask about mine then find someone elses reg out (ie quattro Avant) then ask to see if the diff part numbers are the same?
I think the turbo is the smaller one but the output is from the ECU, Im thought that it is the TT 1.8 that runs the K03 that gives 220bhp ..... mmmmmmm :)
Cheers
Michael

Rallyman, your front and rear differential ratios will be 3.89:1 so, you can use the tranny from a 2,8 quattro. The 2,6 quattro is different - 4.11:1, same as S4, so no good to you.

The 2,8 quattro will however have different internal gears (1-5) and may be a bit long-legged for a turbocharged car. If you wish to retain the same driving characteristics you have now (albeit without the crunching) then you'll need an AJL transmission. Only person I know who may still have one currently is Docurley.

All 1.8TQ boxes would be the same and as Siena said the 2.8 30v would also do the job and is regarded in the US as an upgrade when tuning the car.

In regards to mine it was sold some months ago so sorry.

Ok, thanks very much for the info on the stuff I will contact the people, hopefully they have not nadgered the box or it doesnt have warp mileage on it.....
Thanks for the reply Docurley. :(
Its my luck that the guy in grimsby has the box, I was up that way last weekend, DOH! Though I dont think the missus and kid would have liked travelling back with it!
Siena, so the RS4 and S4 have 4.11's and the 2.8's have 3.89 which is what I need, I will contact the guy, and see whassup.
If I'm out of luck there, how do I tell the difference between a 4.11 and a 3.89, are there some sort of markings that I can tell the difference between the two?
If I cant get one, I may have to do the rebuild option :( , Anyone know of a decent rebuilder?
Is there anyway of finding out the internal ratio's of the 2 boxes????
Cheers
Michael

Well thanks to Geeman, for posting that info, I'm waiting for a call back when the enine/box will be pulled..... :)
Michael

Phew, what a busy week or so, I now have the box :)
Thanks to all that helped!
Im just sorting out the clutch to go in it......
I have been offered an LUK kit that replaces the Dual mass flywheel (which is cheaper) has anyone tried one of these? What difference will it make?
My Audi stealer said that you need a special tool to change the box - is this true?
Has anyone tried changing the clutch/box at home - how easy? I have changed boxes (RWD) before
Thanks
Michael

P.s.
Rolling road went well, I went to Emerald - Dave Walkers place in Watton.
Kewl place! Gotta go back!
I did a few power runs - needs some more working on now :(
I managed to get 10bhp more than the petrol, through the LPG system I am running :) Hehehehheh!
Old box still working
Cheers
Michael

if you have access to a ramp it should be ok to do,i never so just pulled the engine out instead. never needed any special tools for that anyway.