Brake upgrade

Sir Chumpalot

Reaction score
After finally being able to get this last locking wheel nut off, I inspected my brakes only to find that they have a huge lip on them. I notice quite a bit of brake fade when driving with the brake pedal vibrating under me on braking.

For safety reasons more than anything I'd like to get these changed but money is tight and I don't have hundreds to spend on discs, pads and calipers.

I've had a look at the Black Diamond 288mm grooved discs. These come in at roughly £200 with predator pads and I think would be find for the fronts. My question is, would I need new calipers?

Also, with regards to the rear, I was thinking of just replacing these with OEM Audi discs. Would this be OK?

Thanks for your help

Dave

Brake fade will be due to wear in the discs and pads, and warping of discs is causing the pedal vibration. Changing to new discs and pads will cure this, and no need for new calipers providing discs are standard size etc. Rears will be fine with Audi discs, just check pads dont need done at same time.

I've had a quick measure and the 288mm discs will be slightly larger than what I have on there at the moment I think. Hopefully the calipers won't need changing too.

Thanks for your reply

If you use the same diameter disks there is no need to change the calipers. Make sure you buy the correct diameter disks. Beside disks and pads, you may also want to change the brake fluid if it is older than 2 years. Brake fluid tends to absorb water and loses its properties.
The vibrations you feel in the pedal, if are not from the ABS may be due to warping disks, as Foxmeister said. Avoid the water after hard braking.

The disks I would like are 288mm in diameter. I'm pretty sure these are bigger than the ones I currently have on there.

I'll be changing the brake fluid at the same time so that's not an issue.

Thanks

Check with a mechanic if they'll fit before buying. You may need to change the carrier also and it is not cheap.
I have 288mm on the front and I have changed them less than a month ago. I wanted to upgrade them to 312mm but the carriers cost as much as the disks and the pads...

What car do you have?

If its a turbo or V6 it will have 288x25mm disks up front.

If its a lesser model it will have either 280x20mm disks or 280mm solids.

If you want to fit the 288mm disks (which is recommended imo) then you will require a set of calipers from a Turbo or V6 model.

I wouldnt personally bother with black diamond disks or any "performance" disk. Just buy good standard disks and spend the money on pads. DS2500's or Mintex 1144's would be good examples of tasty pads. I would avoid EBC personally, i've heard of them breaking up when pushed hard before.

So if I just go for OEM fronts and spend the rest on pads as you say. I was going to go for the Black Diamond predator pads but those were quite expensive and I'm on a bit of a budget.

Where would be a good place to get some OEM front discs then? eBay?

i'd just goto a motor factors and buy some QH or whatever disks. They'll cost you 20-30quid each.

Mintex M1144's or DS2500's will cost around 100quid for a front axle set.

Thanks, I've spied some OEM front discs for £26 each online. Think i'll get these and take your advice on the pads.

Any good places to get any of the above pads? I can't seem to spot them on eBay and online shops want around £150 for a set.

Cheers

Motorsport World have the M1144's, bout £100 a set.

Euro Perfromance have the DS2500's, bout £140 for a set.