HELP,Flat Feeling

S4twiggy

Fully Certified Detailer!!
Reaction score
lately ive been thinking that my S4 isnt running to its full potential, when driving the car and going through the rev range there is no kick in here and she feels quite flat, as ive not driven any other S4 before as this is my first one ive had nothing to compare to but the other day when i took it out for half hour i was driving slowly for a while waiting for things to warm up and when she was up to temp i put my foot down off a roundabout and it went like a bullet and ive never felt her pull like it did that night, ive had the feeling that something was wrong for a while so when it went like it did i thought that is how an S4 should pull. does anyone have any ideas of wot might cause the car to be flat?

people say that the S4 is a hell of a machine but wen u got a mini cooper s pulling from you until you reach 4th gear you kind of think something is wrong with the car. id love for the car to pull like it did all the time but unfortunately she is flat 90% of the time which is starting to depress me a little:crying:

i need advice on whether you guys have experienced this in your S4's and wot you have done to sort the problem.

Get it on vagcom and see if there are any faults.

Certain sensor faults will cause it to be flat like you describe.

it felt flat a long time ago and then i had a lambda sensor and DV go on me so they were changed and it fekt alot better but now its getting to the point where im noticing it more an more everyday how flat it is, dont get me wrong its still quick but when i felt it pull the other day it was amazing and thats wot i thought an S4 should be like. its on 98k and ive heard of turbos going around this mileage. how can i tell if my turbos are on the way out? would vagcom pick this up? hopefully ill have her plugged into vagcom before audi in the park!

If the turbos went you'd know about it usually.

Saying that though, when the turbo went on our A4 (before we owned it) it simply dropped the waste gate "penny valve" into the exhaust, so turbo never spooled up.

As i say, I suspect its more likely a faulty sensor and the ECU is holding the boost back because of that.

egts make it feel overall flat , have you a boost gauge ? if so whats it saying at WOT if you haven't get one pronto it helps so much with finding problems. Definitely vag com it tho

aint got a boost gauge mate, the car is off to PW motorsport next weekend so phil can have a look at it so hopefully he can sort it for me, not got vagcom yet but i will be investing soon. i hope its not an EGT as i was saving for coilys and an EGT is about £100 plus labour of doing it then that would dent my plans for gettin the coilys ion time for audi in the park but the cars health comes first in my opinion so if he finds the fault and sorts it then happy days

where can i get a boost gauge from and how easy are they to fit?