1.9tdi 110 remap, how will the car cope?

benny-g

Reaction score
Hi people.

Ive got a 110tdi avant and am thinking of getting it remapped. Ive been told i should expect gains of 40bhp and 90lbs/ft torque. My question is how will tyhe rest of the car cope with the extra power being out through it. Will the gearbox, standard clutch , driveshafts etc be upto it?

The car at present has done 140k but has full dealer service history and is very solid and pulls well.

And help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Gearbox and shafts will be fine. Effectively the same box sits behind the 1.8T and 2.8 30V motors.

Clutch might cause problems depending on how worn it is. Conversely it might be completely fine with just a stock remap, and only cause issues if you were to get more extreme.

Might want to look at your braking system if you dont already have the 288mm disks on there. Not sure what a TDI was fitted with.

My dad had his 110bhp TDi Passat (which is the same car underneath) remapped in 1998 - and 11 years & approx 120k miles later it it still has it's original clutch and other than standard service items nothing else has gone wrong. I can't remember what the numbers were - I think it was about 140 odd bhp - the difference was very noticeable.

Go for it - you won't regret it.

how much does it cost to get this done?

ive just bought an A4 avant 1.9tdi (110)se, pulls really well, have been told they can be chipped to gain said horsepower above.

There a guy/company on ebay that will do it for as little as 100pounds! The catch is you have to take the ecu out, send it to him and he sends you it back so youre car-less for 3 days. However i think im going to give it a bash, hes told me rough estimates of an extra 40bhp and 90nm of torque, and all that for 100quid, bargain!

My dad's was chipped with a Hoppa module - but I don't think you can get them anymore. It is a unit which plugged in between the ECU and the car. Was fitted by old, old AmD (when they were in the village garage in Islip). You'll still be able to get something similar from any of the usual tuning suspects - AmD, Jabba, JBS, MTM etc.