Quick bulb qustion

AB5QTS

Reaction score
I have an A4 B5 1.8 TQS 99 with the Xenons. Am I right in saying that the main beam and dipped beam are H7 bulbs the fogs are H7 and the side lights are 501 bulbs?

Cheers

Yes you are right H7 bulbs fitted main dipped and fogs and 501

just be wary of spending £35 on so called +80% bulbs. no better than stock 55w IMO

Thanks all for the info. Shall do some purchasing now :thumbsup:

I have heard that before someowhere...was it on here?.... ;)

meh !! :search:

If you have normal halogen bulbs they will be H7, consider the silverstar bulbs they DO put out more light than el cheapo set. I have them in my high beams and coupled with a set of off road ( as it's illegal on road) HIDs i have no problems seeing

I have just purchsed a pair of Osram Nightbreakers H7 for my full beams and a pair of Philips Blue Vision 501s for the side lights. Will see how they get on.

Cheers

Just making people aware of the facts!

Many people would think that with the huge availability of these conversion kits that they would be legal. I've no idea how they get away with actually selling them, seen as selling an illegal component is illegal in itself!

Right went to fit my new bulbs and the H7's are correct but the side lights are actually H6 bulbs :think:

So have now bought some H6's and will fit when arrived

I have a 2000 B5 with "Projector style" dipped beam, its really woeful light ouput and normal style hi beam. Ive tried all types of bulb in the projector and at a push the phillips are marginally better.
I then got pulled by plod cos I had my fogs on yeah yeah, but the lights are bad and he did agree (dusk) he commented that I should get HID's! So I did, much much better, now, though they are not recommended for std non-projector lenses and you "should" have an auto leveling system fitted (I havn't).
Since fitting the HID, I can see, I have not been pulled and ther car has passed its MOT twice.
Lucas did actually sell me a set of 100w H7's though I have not tried them yet as they might melt plastic body.... dunno? Anyone tried?
Michael

been running 100W for six months. £7 for 100W or £35 for "+85%" philips!! no brainer. work fine, no melting, no engine fires, no burnt wires

Rallyman:

As i said above, they are illegal unless you meet the three criteria:

Auto levelling (either the headlamps or the entire vehicle)
Headlamp washers
Type approved Headlamps.

The last one is the stickler, The manufacturer is the only one who can type approve the lamps and they'll only type approve the OE HID lamps as being fit for HID use.

You can do it legally using OEM Xenon lamps, and retrofitting the levelling and washing systems.

As you say, you might well pass MOT's and plod might think its fine, but should you one day be involved in an accident, and there is any inkling that the lights could have played a part, you WILL get boned.

Its the only reason i've not fitted them to mine, the cost of doing it properly is out of my budget at the moment.