Can't rewind rear caliper piston even with tool

voteforpedro

Reaction score
Getting very ****** off now. Bought Laser tool from Halfrauds for £21 but the reaction plate WILL NOT fit between the forked part of the caliper and the piston and turning the piston without it does not rewind it.

Now what?

wheel139-brakejob-rearcalipertool.jpg

That plate does NOT fit. It is too thick by far. Looks like I'm walking to work all next week again.

All looks like it fits..Have you released the handbrake and opened bleed valve to allow excess brake fluid to be ejected. Don't forget to use bleed kit to stop air getting into system. Fitted new pads and discs not long ago and my tool worked a treat, may need starting off with spanner holding bolt near caliper while unwinding, that piston needs persuading to move.

i'm sure i just used a pair of needle nose pliers or perhaps two screwdrivers to wind mine back.

Does the piston turn freely or is it siezed?

That is not my pic! That's one I found to demonstrate what I mean. The piston is out too far and I'm missing at least 1cm clearance.

i'm sure i just used a pair of needle nose pliers or perhaps two screwdrivers to wind mine back.

Does the piston turn freely or is it siezed?

The piston turns freely and it is not seized. I only removed the caliper to change the fecking wheel bearings.

Tool looks fine to me to, as above have you removed handbrake & also the reservoir lid as I always do this to allow the pressure to push back up easier, not had air issues to date.

Tool looks fine to me to, as above have you removed handbrake & also the reservoir lid as I always do this to allow the pressure to push back up easier, not had air issues to date.

I ended up unhooking the handbrake cable in the end. I removed the cap from the brake fluid reservoir and I loosened the bleed nipple a little but still no luck.

Not a fix mate, but. I had the sames problem on my missus C-max. 1hr 1/2 job, (got the other three done in about 25mins each) turned into a 4 hr nightmare. Ended up going into a garage as the piston had come out to far... I didn't have a bleed kit etc to do it. It may be the same with yours sorry. Re. the plate, did you get different sized ones? On my dads draper unit the round end key can be turned over to allow the two raised bumps to resess into the holes/slots on the piston, it gives a bit more room. Just a thought.

If the piston is turning freely then all you should need to do is turn and use as much pressure as you can by hand to make it go in enough to get the plate to fit. The plate will then slide in and allow you to use more force to seat the caliper sooner.

It's has never failed me and i have the same car and laser tool. The fun begins when the piston is siezed, thats huge entertainmenment

had the same problem even with an air pressure activate tooll in the end got son to press brake pedal and push it out and catch it clean and polished the dirt of and put it back with ease and bleed calipier
so easy