EM TuningSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

Starting problems on 98 A4 1.8t need help

I have a 98 1.8t quattro.I have just noticed problems when trying to start the car.It used to take a little bit for it to turn over,now 2 times it hade not started but the second time i started it it turner over but the idel was real rough until it came up to about 1 rpm but while idiling it was very choppy until i reved it up then ran fine.This has happend 2 times to me now,just woundering if anybody else has had the same problem and what it could be.The car runs fine once it is started.Thanks for any help [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status

Re: Starting problems on 98 A4 1.8t need help

sounds like a coolant temp sensor to me but take it to your dealer and have them check out the fault memory to be sure, coolant temp sensors have been a bit of a problem recently!!
    andy

5th Gear

Status

As Andy says I be inclined to look at the coolant sensor as this is a common problem and gives the symptoms described, as the ECU alters the fueling and retards or advances the timing dependent on the coolant temp...so when cold it maybe that it puts less fuel in than it should because it sees a high coolant temp. The coolant sensor is pretty cheap around $20 I think you'll find.

Other things that you may want to do, which are cheap and easy is fill up on a high octane fuel and put some fuel system treatment in with it, this should clean up the injectors/system and you may notice an improvement in running anyway even if it doesn't cure the problem.

Reverse Gear

Status

ok sounds good i will be replaceing the sensor and let u all know how it goes thanks again..
    josg