Starting problems on 98 A4 1.8t need help

audia4t99

Reaction score
I have a 98 1.8t quattro.I have just noticed problems when trying to start the car.It used to take a little bit for it to turn over,now 2 times it hade not started but the second time i started it it turner over but the idel was real rough until it came up to about 1 rpm but while idiling it was very choppy until i reved it up then ran fine.This has happend 2 times to me now,just woundering if anybody else has had the same problem and what it could be.The car runs fine once it is started.Thanks for any help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

sounds like a coolant temp sensor to me but take it to your dealer and have them check out the fault memory to be sure, coolant temp sensors have been a bit of a problem recently!!
andy

As Andy says I be inclined to look at the coolant sensor as this is a common problem and gives the symptoms described, as the ECU alters the fueling and ******* or advances the timing dependent on the coolant temp...so when cold it maybe that it puts less fuel in than it should because it sees a high coolant temp. The coolant sensor is pretty cheap around $20 I think you'll find.

Other things that you may want to do, which are cheap and easy is fill up on a high octane fuel and put some fuel system treatment in with it, this should clean up the injectors/system and you may notice an improvement in running anyway even if it doesn't cure the problem.

ok sounds good i will be replaceing the sensor and let u all know how it goes thanks again..
josg