Looky what I got in the post this morning!

stapo69

All hail the mighty quattro!
Reaction score
So I had a rubbish week so like any good man who needs cheering up I spent some silly money on my car!

Although I think it's a reasonable price for what I got, not that the missus agrees. £400 for a brand new TT-S/R8 etc steering wheel that's gonna look seeeeeeeexy in my motor! A few quid for a wheel I know, but the airbags are well over £200 on their own and this is the cheapest I've found one for a long while, range from £450-£600. I especially like this one as it has no badge, can't get an S4 one, and it has no multifunction buttons, this system is not compatible with the B5, unless you're a genius I guess!

I think I've just about figured the wiring, Doug at MRC assures me that although it's a dual stage/2 bag system he just picked, wired it in and all is good, as in no dash lights, I guess the only way to really test is to crash.............

Anyways here she is, roll on the weekend and I'll get it in.

Picture.jpg

Hope you like!

... different....! =P nice, though not sure that i could justify that money!:S lol!!! fair play to you though.:respekt:

My missus definately can't justify that sort of money! I k ow it's a lot, but it's a hell of a lot more from Audi, I wanted something sufferer but that would suit the car, and all the aftermarket Momo kinda stuff just really
wouldn't work, so was prepared to pay a bit more for what I really wanted and what would look good rather than a never really being happy and swapping it in the end anyway!

Oh and this means I have my S4 wheel up
for sale now too if anyones interested.

That's ace. Expensive, but ace.

What's the S4 wheel like...?

I would only contemplate that if it were the full multi function and i was looking at hooking up the additional features to use the bits on the wheel.

I am sure it will look the b*llox once fitted though

I wanted multifunction, but after looking at how much is envolved to get it to even function a bit on a B5 I passed, needs new
looms, control box, S/C ring, intergrating old and new harnesses, all to turn the volume up on my stereo, just isn't worth it, and the price is easily doubled. Maybe if I had rns unit and sat nav it would be worth it. It's certainly a lot easier on a B6, pretty much plug and play, but our's is just too old bless it!

Oh and do I remember someone on here installing B7 RS4 pedal covers? They would match this wheel a treat!

Well it's in, wired and all working and looks good! Wierd driving with a new wheel though, you don't realise how much you get used ot something till you change it! Feels good though, it's about an inch smaller in diameter and is nice and responsive, and I can get in and out now without squashing my legs into the bolsters of my Recaros!

DSC00221.jpg

DSC00223.jpg

I wanna change the aluminium bits to carbon covered soon to tie it in with the rest of the interior a bit more, but cannot figure out taking it apart yet without fear of breaking something, so some more investigating is needed.

Looks good.

Now all you need is a facelift centre console...

what are those buttons for either side of the dials in the centre console?

All shall be revealed in good time...........

If it were that big a suprise then writing on tape on the wings at GTi inters, Airride, kinda gave it away,lol

That's very true! The tape was on there at Inters to explain the slightly odd stance, it was supposed t be finished for the show, but sadly didn't happen. I just didn't wanna put any pics or write up on here till it's all finished, at the moment I only have the front done, the rears are proving a little more tricky due to the odd quattro set-up, but it's getting there slowly. Ray at Rayvern Hydraulics has been putting in a lot of work to get it spot, top fella! So watch this space, I can't wait to start whoring myself about!

Out of interest, roughly how heavy is the complete kit?

Shocks don't weigh much more than normal ones really, just the springs replaced with bags, the tank depends on the size you have, but still not that heavy, asi'm sat here about the same as my laptop if that's any help?! The compressor I have is relatively compact so again not that heavy really, about the same again, a few kg, it's all bolted in the car now so can't give you accurate weghts, but it's really not added that much at all, and I have it all tucked away in the spare whell well, so not intrusive either.

That's a whole lot of money for a wheel with an airbag that might not even go off in a crash :(

Guess I just won't crash then! Had plenty of cars with non airbag wheels, as I'm sure many of you have, never had a problem with running those wheels, so don't see a difference from that to this.

Assuming its connected and that the airbag system airbag itself sees it and does not complain, i see no reason to assume the airbag would not go off in the event of an accident. It must be within spec as it were.

Tho i can see where the doubt comes from

I agree, it is wired exactly the same as the original wheel was, using one airbag and ignitor as before, just leaving the other one obsolete. So I see no reason why it shouldn't work in exactly the same way, at the end of the day it just needs current to it at the right point to deploy, which is all to do with the control unit, not the airbag itself.

Naturally no-one really knows for sure, who wants to test a £200 airbag! i guess somene will find out one day! Not me hopefully!

Air-ride eh . I fitted a fbss kit to a new beetle a couple of years back i used a a small rectangle digital gauge in the arm rest and playstation remote in glove box to keep the factory look it was fun and get some really strange looks when at full height . Was forever finding small leaks but eventually sorted it . One thing i didnt like was when the compressor kicks in !

No leaks so far, Rayvern kits are pretty damn good. The compressor does take a little getting used to, but now the false floor is all in and its hidden away in the boot I can barely here it, just still waiting for the rears!! Avo are taking their time, and the **** a bit now........see what news the phonecalls give me this week!

it maybe alot of money but sometimes the little mods cost more than the big ones for what they are. it looks spot on mate and lookin at it in the car i'd say worth it.

It's all about the details! Anything cheaper just wouldn't have worked or look as good.