S4 - What intercooler ???

OllyS4

Reaction score
I hope to get a MRC remap in a few months but before i do i want to change my intercoolers, they have seen better days. I am not going to go big turbo any time soon.
So what intercooler would people recommend for my 1999 S4 2.7 avant?
I have seen some front mounts but to me the top cooler looks to be covered when the bumper is on and surly this is worse than standard!
There is a 2 in to 1 on ebay but then again that is ebay. i also don't have thousands of pounds to spend.
Any ideas?

Depends what your budget is.
You can get an FMIC from ebay (I wouldn't go 2>1) for ~300 quid. However, it's a big
job to fit and you should probably consider ancillary parts such as a PS cooler and
EFK.
The best side mounts are ER intercoolers available from the States but these will cost $1300 - $1500 with shrouds.
You can get other SMICs (such as CXRacing, AWE, IPP etc.).
The best budget option is to fit B5 RS4 SMICs. These have a larger surface area then
the S4 ones, cast end tanks and better flow.

I'm fitting an FMIC at the end of August and will have some RS4 B5 SMICs for sale
with pipework.

Depends what your budget is.
You can get an FMIC from ebay (I wouldn't go 2>1) for ~300 quid. However, it's a big
job to fit and you should probably consider ancillary parts such as a PS cooler and
EFK.
The best side mounts are ER intercoolers available from the States but these will cost $1300 - $1500 with shrouds.
You can get other SMICs (such as CXRacing, AWE, IPP etc.).
The best budget option is to fit B5 RS4 SMICs. These have a larger surface area then
the S4 ones, cast end tanks and better flow.

I'm fitting an FMIC at the end of August and will have some RS4 B5 SMICs for sale
with pipework.

The fleabay cheapo ones have had some good write-ups (CX-Racing?), although are supposed to be a ****** to fit. I imagine they work better than RS4 intercoolers, but with K03's I don't think the difference will be that significant.

Jonny and I are both running over 400bhp with RS4 intercoolers. They are very capable intercoolers for a decent price. Just make sure you get the shrouds and pipework with them.

I'd go with an OEM intercooler rated for the power than some cheap ebay tat.

mmmmm some good points there, RS4 coolers sounds like a good option for all i'm planning on doing if i can find them for a ok price.

Any other views welcome

I'd go with an OEM intercooler rated for the power than some cheap ebay tat.

Wouldn't write off the 'cheap eBay tat' just yet. There have been a few people on AudiSRS who have fitted the CX Racing intercooler (some to 450+bhp cars) and have reported a noticeable improvement in IAT's over RS4 intercoolers.

I have a CXRacing IC in the garage. The core looks fine to me. There is a hell of a lot
of people running this cooler without problems. JH Motorsports sell a kit based
on thiscooler and have fitted it to their own cars with good results.

If money is no object, go the ERs. On a budget and sticking to K03 turbos, RS4 ICs
would probably be your best solution. Minimal cutting to the lock carrier is required
(as it is with all SMIC upgrades)

Wouldn't write off the 'cheap eBay tat' just yet. There have been a few people on AudiSRS who have fitted the CX Racing intercooler (some to 450+bhp cars) and have reported a noticeable improvement in IAT's over RS4 intercoolers.

There is more to an intercooler than cooling. It's about how well it flows too. If it's flowing less air (eg air is passing through it slower), then it's cooling efficiency will increase!

Well they clearly don't have an issue with the pressure drop if people have been able to get more power out of their cars when upgrading from RS4 to CX-Racing intercoolers.

If JHM use them, nuff said!

There is more to an intercooler than cooling. It's about how well it flows too. If it's flowing less air (eg air is passing through it slower), then it's cooling efficiency will increase!

If you have some data to post to support your opinions please post it.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2673330&postcount=1
http://audisrs.com/about3692.html&highlight=fmic

As the core volume is much, much larger than two SMICs I'd damn well hope that
flow velocity was reduced given that the VE of the engine is still the same.
This should increase efficiency, not decrease it. Pressure drop across the core should
be lower given these conditions.

I can only go on the logs, 1/4 miles and power figures cars with these FMICs have
produced. It's difficult to argue that they don't provide an improvement.

As has already been said, for K03, the best bang for buck is B5 RS4 if you don't want
to butcher your car too much.

If you have some data to post to support your opinions please post it.

Data to support which opinion? The one where I said i'd go with the OEM intercooler before a cheap aftermarket one? I don't remember making any statements of which aftermarket intercooler works or doesn't work in any particular application.

Data to support which opinion? The one where I said i'd go with the OEM intercooler before a cheap aftermarket one? I don't remember making any statements of which aftermarket intercooler works or doesn't work in any particular application.

Hmm. I directly quoted you.

You also said this: "I'd go with an OEM intercooler rated for the power than some cheap ebay tat. "

I'm interested in why you think the ICs available on ebay are 'tat'. Several tuners who
make their living from this business are re-selling these as fitted kits.

Ebay 'tat' CXRacing front mount with all pipework - $500 delivered

2nd hand RS4 ICs with mounting hardware, pipework and shrouds - start at £300
unless you are very lucky. Cost you over a grand, new from Audi. You can get the
full kit new from Vast but it costs $1380.

ER SMICs - $1300 for IC's then $250 for shrouds.

034 SMIC kit (Wagner cores) - $1375 inc. shrouds.

AWE Tuning kit - $1166 (currently on sale).

The AWE kit is, purportedly, the easiest to fit as it requires the least modifications to
the lock carrier. The FMIC kit will require a lot more work.