Erratic revs / dying

Geeman

Low Life
Reaction score
Had a REALLY strange problem the other night. Thankfully, it seems to have sorted itself out.

Set off home from work, and it was really jumpy/kangarooy (technical terms) and wouldn't rev at all... apart from spikes and then dying down again. It would idle perfectly, but wouldn't respond to any right foot action.

So, I got my brand new fault reader out, plugged it in and waited for the cause...

"Open fuel tank ventilation circuit"

Erased it and tried moving off again... still the same problem... no revs.

So, with only living not far from work, I thought I'd try and crawl home... so I set off without any revs, tried building them up, but same problem... erratic revs. So left the accelerator alone for a bit and just crawled along (quiet road) then slowly built the revs up. After about 500 yards, it seemed to be getting better, so I started using a little more revs... and ****** me it sorted itself out. It was running perfect then.

Hasn't done it since.

Got to confess to not having much petrol in the tank (15 miles left) at the time... but wouldn't have thought that would have been the culprit.

Checked the fault code reader and the same code has come up. Strange...

Any ideas at all chaps? (based on a 1.8T Sport)

Cant see the tank vent valve causing those symptoms.

Odd running issues with no faults logged can often point to the coils or ignition amplifier.

Put some fuel in you tight git,lol

It's maybe possible that the vent not opening isnt allowing air into the tank and the low fuel level wasnt helping it to be pushed out to the fuel rail etc

Will see if it does it again then. It's full of fuel now... was a one-off, promise!

May see if I can pick up a spare coil pack(s) at some point then...

I carry spare, plugs, coilpacks,ICM and various hoses. How sad am i?

Any of those other codes come back mate?

Nope... not one so far, apart from the 'fuel tank vent circuit open' one...

It did the turbo dying thing last night, so will re-test it tonight and see if there's any new codes...