Do these coilovers look ok?

sam4191

If In doubt, Flat out!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Sorry to post another thread about suspension, but my rear shocks are leaking quite badly, and basically seem to have given up the ghost. The fronts seem too be a little on their way too. So basically at the moment, the car is like jelly. lol.

My question is, do these look any good...? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300325908786

Just that I have had a rough est. from ECP for new shocks and they came out at £50 ea. for rear and £75-£80 ea. for front. Thats only £100 ish less than the Jamex ones on ebay. considering that the Jamex ones would just bolt on, no taking springs off, etc. It seemt he better option. The car is lowered 40mm atm on jamex springs anyway. Though would like it a little lower... I like the look of geeman's!!! lol!

Thanks

Sam

You do realise the old springs will need to be removed to rescue the top mounts ans insulation,as well as possibly the dust covers don't you?

You do realise the old springs will need to be removed to rescue the top mounts ans insulation,as well as possibly the dust covers don't you?

oh oh oh!!! never thought of that!!! lol!!! ok, maybe same amount of work anyway then..! lol. thanks for that mate!

however, worth the extra £100 IMHO over bogo standardo shocks to go with your springs, especialy if you want lower anyway

The Jamex coilovers are EXACTLY the same as the cheapy cheap Ebay jobbies. They are made on the same production line, and then just labelled up Jamex, so I've been told.

You only need to put on new top mounts... no point in using your old ones. So it's just a case of replacing, rather than rescuing old (and probably worn) parts. Much easier to carry out that way. That's what I did with mine...

The Jamex coilovers are EXACTLY the same as the cheapy cheap Ebay jobbies. They are made on the same production line, and then just labelled up Jamex, so I've been told.
Does this mean that you'd steer clear then? I suppose they should be ok though, i mean they have to have some sort of decency to be on sale.?

however, worth the extra £100 IMHO over bogo standardo shocks to go with your springs, especialy if you want lower anyway

again though... are they worth a try??

I would take a punt yes mate.As Geeman says, if you get all new tops etc you could have a straight swap and recoup some losses by selling on the old springs

I'd steer clear of the Jamex set-up to be honest and just go for the cheaper Ebay jobbies. Save yourself over £100 in the process.

Unless you're paying a lot of money for a reputable make, you're not going to get top-quality coil-overs, so I wouldn't really go for a 'compromise' set-up... go cheap or go quality... no point going in-between.

Just my view though.

I had some cheap ebay ones once, and it took 3 months to get a problem sorted under warrenty hence my suggestion on the Jamex. whilst you are prob right and they are made in the same factory. I am sure Jamex would warrenty the parts more effeciently than random shock seller.com

I had a set of these for my SEAT ibiza and they are rubish and did'nt fit very well, road badly and waisted lots of time and money because once they are fitted they wont take them back so how do you know if they are any good if you can't fit them.
IMO

you can buy AP coilovers for about the same price from awesomegti

hmm.... I took a gamble late last week, payed yday and recieved them today. Was going to start fitting tomorrow. I'm worried now. lol. Surely they have to be half decent to go on sale though? Those Ap's are £100 or near enough more. I don't have much cash at the moment. I think I'll fit these as planned and see. Hope they will be ok for me though!:s

The reason I went for them is that I saw on another forum (not sure which one) that someone bought these and was quite impressed. I dont know. We'll see i suppose. lol. Just spent £800 on a flamin mountain bike too. SH!T! :scared2:

Last edited:
Oh, ok, that makes me more confident! I thought he'd be running some big money parts! lol.

Maybe me being dumb, but what does IIRC mean?

Sorry mate was being lazy, If I Remember Correctly.

I will maybe have a search to be sure but i am 90% he is running either these or something very close

Sorry mate was being lazy, If I Remember Correctly.

I will maybe have a search to be sure but i am 90% he is running either these or something very close

oh right! Thanks for that, Just I'd seen it several times and wondered what it meant. lol.

Oh right thats cool. thanks for that! =D

All done! Just finished installing the new coilovers. All went pretty well to be honest. =) Only thing is all of the adjusting that needed to be done!!! what a pain!

I finally have a nice height, though arches still rub if i take a corner fast or hit a bump too quick, but should be ok with normal driving!=) Ride isn't too bad, not too crashy. Am pretty impressed appart from knocking rear, which Byzan has said is the top carriers. Will have them sorted at some point.