tuning advice

gumbo_v6

Reaction score
anyone give any adive looking to get a new exhaust thinking of going with power flow and decat it ,, can anyone recom a diff exhaust ,, and wots best cone filter or keep the pannel and drill the holes in the box ?? i have a 2.6 v6 1996 is this the 30v engine ??? how can increase the bhp on it are ther any turbokits or super chargers avai for them ,, or were i can pick up some decent body kits , spoilers,, wheel arches as the rust is winning at the moment ,, sorry for the all questions cheers guys

cone is good for noise. search shaved airbox on vwvortex.
stock box with inner vanes removed, stock filter and a cold air pipe into the bottom front corner.

miltek are good but pricey. I am getting powerflow to make me a downpipe but they seem to have good rep. I get the feeling they are a franchise dealer netwrok which means fluctuating quality in my book.

think ill just cut a hole in the front . then u just attach cold aire pipe,, u have any pics just so i can makesure im clear lol , one bloke told to cut like 5 holes init ,, ive asked powerflow for a full exhaust and de cat this poss or will it affect the ecu ,, so will find out the cost in a few days,, anybody used apex suspion springs or heard anything about them seen some gong on ebay 130 quid
cheers for the help :thumbsup:

Do not go to Powerflow. Their systems are cheap shoddy crap aimed at kiddies that don't have a clue what their mouthing off down the pub to their equally clueless mates. They do not mandrel bend so every bend in the system is an added restriction as the bore size alters the length of the car. The stainless is of low grade and the systems are not flow tested. I've dealt with their systems on more than one occasion and been horrified just how poor they are.

Apex springs are pretty ok by all accounts. Know a few people in teh Ford scene that use them

I have to say that you need to think carefully about dropping a lot of cash on that engine. Its the 12v 2.6 making 150hp

By the time you've paid for your exhaust, decat (making any future MOT's a headache) and air filter, which might see you a 5-10hp increase if your lucky, you could have purchased a 2.8 30v giving you an instant 45hp increase. Alternatively the same money would have baught you a turbo engine (1.8T) which when chipped also makes around 200hp.

By all means if all you want is a bit of noise then fit a backbox and filter, but i really wouldnt bother trying to "tune" it, becuase its just not worth trying.

V8 conversion makes more sense.

The 2,6 12V is an old nail - tough, but not very responsive to traditional tuning methods.

are you two on commission from the "V8 sellers association" !? ;)

You never know, Jcb, you never know...

******** so didnt get such a gd motor then:angrymod: ,, how much can u pick up a v8 engine for ,, or is cheaper just to sell mine and look for a v8 or turbo

V8 engines range from 500 - £850 complete with all ancillaries, wiring harness, ECU and ignition key.

You could well sell your car, and buy a 1,8T.

As for looking for a V8, you'll be looking for a long time - seeing as B5's never had a V8 as an option.

lol which audi had the v8 option then ,, am thinking that way of getting rid of her she need a quite a bit of body work done both wheel arches need replacing etc

The V8 route will be more expensive though. So it depends what you want.

V8 engine as said is 500-850ish. Then you need a flywheel (£250ish) and a clutch (£150+), some mounts (£ no idea) and ironing out all the little bits and bobs that comes with such a conversion.

Selling your car and buying a 1.8T would give you the same power level as you currently have, but the ability to remap the engine and get more power form the turbo. £300 on a remap will see you to 200hp, more can be had with a big turbo etc.

Alternatively you could drop in a 2.8 30v V6, which would be simpler than the V8 as everything is available to make it fit, but then you're probably cheaper simply buying a 2.8 30v car in the first place

So how much do you want to spend, and how much power do you wnat!