same old problem -_-

Rutter

Reaction score
so you may remember a while back i had a missfire, well this cleared up after a few tips and whatnot. now its back in full force, i changed the fuel filter, air filter, plugs and have even started using 97 unleaded (although it says i only need to use 95) iv used all manor or injector cleaners and now its getting on my nerves. sadly im too poor to afford a diagnostics cable and software. is there anything else that anyone could suggest?

well it idles rough like it hovers at atround 900rpm then everynow and again drops to about 750 for a second, when i have to really ease on the gas or it jerks and misfires, mechanic told me to pour a bit of redex into the intake which seemed to help for about 20 minutes

Possibly MAF, VAC Leak, lambda sensor, throttle body, coolant temp sensor.. really need to get a diagnostic to know where to go next.

wolverhampton.im wondering if its the coil pack... anyway of testing this?

Not that I know off. I had one go on mine recently, annoyingly it doesnt register on VAG COM. Cheapest way is probably to buy (or borrow) one keep swapping it with your until you find the duff one. There were some on ebay last time I looked for about £15.

****** hell thats cheap, might be worth just buying one anyway! looking thru all the documents i got witht he car its never been changed so for £15 what have i got to loose

Assuming its a turbo theres not just one coilpack... Theres one on top of each plug...

Its also a bit more likely that its the ignition amplifier than the coils themselves imo.

You can test to see if you're getting a spark at each cylinder before buying anything. Just pull the coil packs individually with the plug attached and crank the engine with the starter motor to see if you get a spark. You'll need to remove the fuel pump fuse first obviously so there's no fuel in the cylinders.

Assuming its a turbo theres not just one coilpack... Theres one on top of each plug.

Yes, but you only need one spare coilpack to check to see if one is breaking down. Mine was intermittent so a simple "see if you get a spark test" will be inconclusive. It was only breaking down under load, was fine at idle.

Could be the ignition amplifier, there is a test you can do for this if you have a multimeter :-
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=211086