Corsa help - pictures speak louder than words...

voteforpedro

Reaction score
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

So... the car is a '53 Corsa 1.0L 12v, 64k on the clock.

Missus broke down on the M4 on the way to work today. Apparently the coolant temp suddenly went up to max, engine started making nasty noises, forcing her to pull over on the hard shoulder. Car didn't stall.

AA man who towed her home said head gasket. Apparently he did a "test" and found "combustion" in the expansion tank.

So I get home from work and do the diagnostics. Expansion tank was empty so I filled it up with the right stuff. Car turned over with a bit of persuasion with the gas pedal.

Aside from the obvious here are my diagnostics results:

- Inside of filler cap is normal
- Oil level well above min
- Exhaust blowing very pale black smoke when revving, not when idle (could be normal?)
- Rough idle (could be normal/paranoia?)
- Water pump was toasty after engine running for 5 mins (if that is indeed the water pump I labelled)

So wtf is that pipe then? Missus said that the AA man examined that pipe and did not mention to her that it was not actually attached... Maybe he snapped it off, the miserable cnut? Attention was drawn to it because there was water bubbling around it. No coolant came out it must be an outlet. Looks to me like the plastic bit which has snapped (with half of it still in the pump) is threaded as there is a plastic hex bit on the end of the pipe.

Any ideas?
8.jpg

in pic 1 thats the throttle body, and i would say thats a return or feed pipe from the water pump,to the throttle body fill the header tank back up and run the car to see if it pushes water out of it, this may take a while as there might be a bit of air in the system, or put your thumb over it and see if it suck's, he might have done a test with a cylinder leak detector this goes in the top of the header tank and is a blue dye, then turns yellow if exhaust fumes are found in the header tank...

yer thats the water pump, and throttle body as has been said.

The pipe is the throttle body heating circuit, which passes hot water round the TB to warm it up. It looks like its snapped off at the water pump, surely that hole is leaking coolant?

At a guess, that pipes snapped, all the coolants emptied all over the road, causing the engine to overheat and take out the headgasket (and probably warped the head too)

fill it with water, fix that pipe. see what it does.

do a compression test.

if the h-g is gone, its a 2nd hand engine

do not attempt to re-build it if its a 1.0