Grinding From the Front

darrenp

Reaction score
When I start up in the morning and reverse out of the driveway I get a grinding type noise (like something needs a good oiling) when I turn the wheel. It sometimes happens again when turning out at the next junction but after that its gone. Even if I leave the car sitting all day at work and return to it, its fine - no noise. It just when the car has been sitting over night. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
Darrenp

Thanks but thats not it. When I start up the car even without moving and give the steering a couple of turns the noise is there. So its there for the first 2 or 3 turns of the wheel regardless if the car is moving or not and then the noise disappears.

Regards
Darrenp

It sounds like your power steering, have you checked the fluid level in your power steering box? Try that, I have seen the PS boxes go out on Audis before. Make sure when you top it up, you use the right kind of Power Steering Fluid. I would even suggest just getting a little bottle from the dealer. Because if you happen to put the wrong kind in, it can ruin the seals.

which control arms make rubbing sounds? When my control arms went bad, i never heard grinding noises, i heard squeeking and clunking noises. If it is the control arms, check your ball joints, and depending on how new or old your car is check the bushings. If fairly new just clean the bushings. I hate the control arm problems, but what cha gunna do...

The lower control arms where changed not too long ago. I'll check my PAS fluid. Thanks for all the information.

Darrenp

PAS fluid was low, topped it up and the noises are gone. now I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if there is a leak or not