how hard to do outer cv boot on 2.8q?

nomadx

Reaction score
noticed my outer cv boot is knackered when i stripped the bits off to do my abs module. How hard a job is it to change? anyone done one and fancy doing a quick run through? :)

Never done one, but seen as the inners unbolt, you should be able to simply unbolt the CV end (You'll need big bar and someone to stand on the brakes, do it with the wheel on, or if you cant, put the wheel bolts back in) then you should be able to unbolt the inner end and drop the shaft out.

take the old boot off, and there will probably be a circlip holding the shaft into the CV joint. Pop it out, slide new boot on, clean and regrease joint and reassemble.

i did 2 on a allroad, wheel off undo drive shaft nut remove both lower ball joint's if this has same then pull shaft out, remove 2 circlips and knock the cv off, replace cv boot then rebuild. about 1hr a side mate and 25 each from dealer inc new bolt for shaft and clips for cv joint

front or rear? Rear was really tight on mine for space, (couldn't get space to swing a heavy enough hammer)! Just be carefull on the rear. Front and back of the bottom of the hun are geometery adjustments, make sure you mark before you split!. Inner was siezed on and had to go to the garage.

Front, nae idea mate!

I dunno if you'll actually have to remove the balljoints...

If you undo the inner off the gearbox, there should be enough room to drop the shaft out the bottom?