TDI experts please

clough103

Reaction score
Ive got a R reg 1998 A4 TDi which i was told was the 110bhp model. It pulls quite well so i believe this to be correct.

Im told that in 1998 they made some models with an old TDi unit and some with a PD engine. I cannot find anything sticker wise on the car to indicate either way and I am ready to do a service. I have loads of 10w 40 diesel oil kicking around form my last car but dont want to put it in if its a PD unit as it needs PD oil i guess.

How can i tell from looking if the engine is a PD or the old TDI unit.

cheers

Hey mate. As far as I know PD units were not brought in until 99 at least. If your car is pre-facelift (which I'm sure it is - indicator and headlamp are seperate units) then you'll have the AFN engine which is not a PD engine.
I don't know if there's anyway at telling if it's a PD by looking at. I think (maybe on the VIN plate in the engine bay) it's marked on the car. Welcome to the forum too!

thanks for the welcome mate.

Forum has been really useful so far in ironing out a few minor issues that came with the car.

In regards to the PD unit ive read in a few places and was also told by Audi parts dept that it could be either but from the Reg he was unable to tell me which and just of course reccomended I buy their PD oil which works in both anyway.

I didnt wanna go splashing out on new oil when i have enough to run a refinery in the garage ;) so if anyone can help me find out what it is I would be grateful :)

Just take a look on the engine.

If it has a rotary pump you'll see it bolted to the right of the cam cover (under the silly plastic engine cover) with 4 hard lines running to the injectors.

Its a big thing larger than an alternator, and looks something like this:

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i1093/109345_10lo.jpg

AFAIK the only B5's with PD engines were '00 and '01 models and also afaik the PD engines are 115hp, not 110, so its quite likely its a rotary pump model. The other option would be to post up the engine code, which can be found on a sticker in the front of the service book.

Ive got a R reg 1998 A4 TDi which i was told was the 110bhp model. It pulls quite well so i believe this to be correct.

Im told that in 1998 they made some models with an old TDi unit and some with a PD engine. I cannot find anything sticker wise on the car to indicate either way and I am ready to do a service. I have loads of 10w 40 diesel oil kicking around form my last car but dont want to put it in if its a PD unit as it needs PD oil i guess.

How can i tell from looking if the engine is a PD or the old TDI unit.

cheers
Its definately a VE engine and not a PD engine as they were only introduced after 2000 on old b5 platform. However, it would not hurt using the fully syn. PD oil in your engine as it has better detergents and works better from cold than any part syntethic/mineral oil. If you look at the turbocharger the 90 Bhp engine had the turbocharger sitting higher in the engine bay than the 110Bhp engine. Both engines(90 and 110Bhp)are not slouch either and in my opinion, they are the best diesel engines they built with really good Mpg and bulletproof reliability! Most will pass the 300K mark with decent service.

90hp in 1200+ Kgs can in no way be described as "not a slouch" !!!!

Even the 150hp Turbo engine models arent exactly fast, more they provide a reasonable turn of pace when required.

Each to their own i guess though. Some folk think a 1.2/1.4 Corsa provides adequate performance!

The PD motors are stronger (many people fit PD blocks to highly tuned rotary TDi's for example), easier to tune, and should be better on fuel too.

On the oil, i wouldnt buy special PD oil, i'd just goto the factors and buy some fully synth oil in the correct grade for your engine. Will cost you about £15 a gallon.