Changing steering wheel

Cruz

Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone please tell me the procedure i need to follow to change the steering wheel on my 99 a4 without setting off the airbag and would i have to get the airbag light reset if i remove the steering wheel that is already fitted as i have my eye on a s line steering wheel in the classified section

cheers Cruz

don't have keys in ignition when doing it.
airbags don't go off on parked cars.

you can disconnect the battery if you wish but I have swapped airbags over more times than I can count without an issue.
depending on fitting you need a torx head on a ratchet or small electric screwdriver.
one each side of teh column behind the horizontal spokes.
undo screws (they may or may not come out) and then pull airbag forward. tilt up and disconnect the connector by pulling the rlease collar up before pulling the plug.

refitting is the reverse of removal (courtesy of the haynes book of lies)!

I swapped my sline for an alcantara, do a search here, there is a chap who IM;d me for details as the pics have gone.
make sure your wheel comes with a horn ring!

you will have to reset the airbag light.
£12 ebay cable and v409 from ross tech for free.

good luck

My airbag light didnt need reset when i had the airbag off to install the cruise control stalk. I just disconnected the battery before i started.

The one thing to watch is dont turn the contact ring with the wheel off the car, or you can put it back on in such a position that the ribbon cable snaps when you turn the wheel

Just won a s line wheel off ebay so i will let you know how i get on when it arrives.( no response from matey who was selling the one in the classifieds)

Thanks for the advice though guys

I seem to remember you need a 25mm socket as well to get the centre nut off. Most socket sets only go up to 24mm max so bear in mind you may need to spend a fiver on an additional socket from a good tool shop.

12 point spline (19mm IIRC)
depends on year maybe though

You're probably right, but my 97 was definately a 24mm or 27mm socket as I still have both of them and have never used them for anything else. Thought it was 25mm, but had to go and check. They probably changed the design on the facelift.

Went to fit the s line wheel this afternoon, got the old airbag off with no hassle or explosions only to find out that it is a spline tool that i need to take the wheel off the car. I have been to halfords and my local motor factors but neither of them sold anything that big, the largest i could find was 16mm and i need a 19.

Any suggestions?

you can buy them in machine mart, better selection and prices the "stealfrauds".

its what I had to do!

You can reuse the spline nut if you clean the thread and re-locktight it.
I was intending to, gotta get hold of the tool to get the damn thing off first though.

Thanks for the reminder to use loctite though :thumbsup: