JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
    jcb
    6th Gear

Status

B5 door mirror problem!

some scrote kicked off a mirror last year and I replaced them with a pair of new ones (well second hand ones).
    Now I am guessing they must be from an S4 and not from the original A4 style.

long story short, I shook hands with a parked car yesterday and snapped one of the ridiculously snappable electric motor rack peices.
    as I had the spares from the old set I replaced the inner motor unit and went to swap out the cracked glass....different!!

I thought the S4/A4 had the same glass!
    two different part numbers and significantly different shape

48 (or B?)O 657 535A anyone know if this is an S4 specific glass?
    8D0 857 535 D These are off my A4

A4 top
    unknown S4 bottom

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Sound like pre face lift and face lift to me which is also the same for the S4, it was only the RS4 that had it's own type all together.
    Black Audi RS4 2006 Exclusive edition, Black optic option (stock for now)

5th Gear

Status
    As far as I know the glass isn't different between the A4 and S4. The only change occurs with the facelift model B5 which has a different shape mirror cover. I am sure there is a post on here about this though and its something to do with the facelift covers being slightly more angled nearest the window
    Facelift S3, Sprint Blue, Bucket seats, Sunroof, Sat Nav, Bose, Elect Mirrors, Light and Rain, Interior Light pack, Flat Tyre Warning, GSM Phone Prep, Led upgrade, Illuminated speaker grills.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Bottom is prefacelift, and top is facelift without a shadow of a doubt

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    bolox! means I have very cleverly converted my facelift back to prefacelift!
    can't say I noticed but I may have a crack at fixing my facelift ones if that is the case!

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    What parts you short Ed?

I have some facelift bits kicking around from when i was collecting parts for my Folding mirror conversion

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    bolox! means I have very cleverly converted my facelift back to prefacelift!
    can't say I noticed but I may have a crack at fixing my facelift ones if that is the case!

Will have a check in the loft tomorrow as I am not sure if I still have the original mirror cases from my old facelift
    Facelift S3, Sprint Blue, Bucket seats, Sunroof, Sat Nav, Bose, Elect Mirrors, Light and Rain, Interior Light pack, Flat Tyre Warning, GSM Phone Prep, Led upgrade, Illuminated speaker grills.

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    i have two of each.
    passenger side case is cracked on my facelift ones

passenger side glass is cracked on my non!!

think I am going to fix the case and refit them with the motors from the non facelift. (stupid plastic motor arm is made of cheese!, breaks if you fart too close to it)

Hate those none insured you know who types

Status
    Carlisle, Cumbria. Not Geordie nor Scotch!
    The mirror is to be removed by unscrewing the backing plate off from the bottom via two screws iirc, I broke my plastic motor arm by trying to lever the mirror plate off. Later learnt you take the backing off to access the rear of the mirror plate. I also got lucky and won an internal motor for 4 off ebay.
    Audi A4 1.8T Sport

1st Gear

Status
    i got a bit lost up there but if you post the bits you need/want i had perfectly good S4 mirrors (fitted when i bought it) and bought brushed aluminium ones identical as far as i can see an got motors and glass with them so they all fitted without too much problem ie leaving me with two mirror glasses and two motors if there of any use to you (touch wood) i dont need them!
    Audi S4 Black on Black. 1999(T)facelift, Aluminium Mirrors, KW Varient 3 coilovers, AmD remap, uprated D/V's, 315bhp375Lb/ft torque, milltek down, 100cpsi cats an back, S4 B6 18" Oem runnin toyo T1-R's. Rs4 B5 front brakes still to fit...

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    fingers crossed I shouldn't need any bits.

The motor assembly is interchangeable between all B5 units and are not sided. I have two good ones between the four mirrors..

I just need to repair the cracked bottom on my facelift shell which I suspect may even fit the non-facelift chassis that bolts to the door.

I will take you up on your offer if I manage to break the ridiculously breakable motor arms (which annoyingly do not appear to be removable to repair or replace!).

surprised I have managed to go this long without shaking hands with oncoming cars or having some scrote kick one off! luckily I have most of a spare B5 sitting around the house in boxes. such is the life of petrol head!

Status
    LOL, welcome to my world.
    Black Audi RS4 2006 Exclusive edition, Black optic option (stock for now)