What is this bit on my a4 b5 1.8QTS

Snow

Reaction score
Hey all :arco:
So I have my lovely A4 QTS.
I did the timing belt myself on Saturday, the only proplems to report were:
snapped bolt on the headlight (came off in my hand guv)
and...the reason im writing this...snapped noggin on the watsit:wtf:
There is a small thin flexible pipe that goes from the top of the engine )(turbo related I think), accross the engine and down to this round plastic junction in the fat hose beneath the right headlight.

I need to know what this 'thing' is in order to order one, also if any harm will come from driving the car untill this is sorted.
Pipe.jpg

Jay

can you get a pic? Its either boost or vacuum related or perhaps an oil breather. I wouldnt want to drive the car until you get it fixed though without knowing exactly what it is.

Sounds like the DV pipe, and as long as you not boosting like crazy it will be ok short term Just go for a 710N

compressor stall on a K03 is not going to go down well, so if you do drive it, be VERY gentle with it until you replace the pipe

its a vaccum signal pipe come off the bottom of the inlet manifold.
get your camera phone and take a pic from under neath, bet there is a skinny pipe with nothing on it

Finally...this is the bit, cut off valve according to Audi...Although he did just have a good guess. I’ve sent him the pic too for identification.

http://cid-d7f5a68e6326c3f9.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/just%20random%20sum%20pic%7C4s/a4b5%201.jpg

Can I replace this with an aftermarket part for better performance or am I better off sticking with the Audi part?

what does this do and will it damage my engine...I’ve been VERY very gentle with it today...boring but with the bonus of 35 - 40mpg
Still..rather the fast than the economical

Jay

Nice one Mark.
I assume I can grab one of those TT diverter valve 710N at the stealer. Any other trick parts I can replace while im at it?
Ta
Jay