chip and spin sat 30th may

JTS4

Yus!
Reaction score
good morning gents

nice to meet a few friendly faces at chipped uk yesterday....big thanks to mark from chip and spin for putting the thing together and spending the day in the midlands with us audiheads..well done mark!

the results....
my standard s4 supposedly 265brake came up at a mere 227 on the first run:sadlike:, then after recoding and resetting the throttle body she woke up and tried to eat the dyno with a figure of 328 on the vdu...a huge grin appeared, though i think that was at the flywheel.
she was then run up again only this time in third gear as the wheels were spinning on the rollers on the modded run! 291bhp and 263.5 lbs/ft achieved, which as explained to me could be higher in cooler air as it was a hot day.

on the road....
my grin became wider!. improved throttle response, mid range sharper and 80-110mph is like an on/off switch. my s4 is transformed and mental and i`m suitably chuffed. BIG THANKS to all involved.:rock:

jon

Yes Mark thanks go out to you pal...

As for my 1.8 TQS it showed on the first run only 163 brake and I was well disappointed but the guys at Chipped UK explained I was losing pressure through my RDV but I got it remapped anyways as I have got the 710N RDV to go on it this week... so after the remapped second run I got a return of 206bhp with a loss of pressure I was happy enough with the figures but it was on the road it was a whole new car... the first thing I notice was the throttle response... very quick! and then on to when the turbo kicked in... WHOOOPIE!!! I feel like a kid again I wanted race everything last night but those ****** cameras in London are everywhere, well guys I was well happy I missed the first half of my beloved Chelsea team to have this done its now like a whole new car the best £250 I've spent this year... but its now given me the bug all I keep thinking is what can I do next.

Which gear did they run it in initially?

Even in this weather that figure sounds fairly tame for a Stage 1 S4, although side-mount intercoolers are at a disadvantage on most RR's with insufficient cooling fans.

Can you post the graph up?

Surely if the wheels were spinning you'd want to use a higher gear to reduce torque multiplication...

I'd get some vagcom on your car and log the throttle position with a full throttle run in third. You might get some interesting results.

first run was fourth/fith i think as i was in front of the car with the cans on, the one i was interested in was the power run after re code which was in third gear.
will look at vagcom soon i guess if torque figs are under...

cant put the graph up blue thunder, busted scanner! unless a photo from mobile would be clear enough....

your car is the same year as mine dangly, what are its figures?

first run was fourth/fith i think as i was in front of the car with the cans on, the one i was interested in was the power run after re code which was in third gear.
will look at vagcom soon i guess if torque figs are under...

cant put the graph up blue thunder, busted scanner! unless a photo from mobile would be clear enough....

your car is the same year as mine dangly, what are its figures?

On a hot September afternoon, 301bhp and 390 lb ft (Surrey rolling road).

Dan's figures sound 'normal' for a stage one car. Yours seem quite low.

So long as you're happy with the result though, RR figures can be taken with a pinch of salt. Would be interested to see some FATS times to see how it compares against other stage one S4's.

Suspect there is a problem with the car through if that's the true torque figure, ie: dodgy sensor, boost leak or faulty DV's.

Also sounds odd that your wheels were slipping on the rollers. At the AudiSRS RR day I organised recently the only car to spin the wheels on the rollers was the 700+bhp S4. I think virtually every other car on the day was over 400bhp and nothing else lost traction.

the last 600 brake 911 they had on rr didnt cause a prob so dont see why mine was. perhaps i need to get it looked at...having said that i`m still happy as the initial run only showed 227bhp, yet felt quicker

If they've made an **** of the map it will be cutting the throttle, which is why i said to check the vagcom logs.

There was a big thread over on RS246 (iirc) where some guy had his car mapped at chippeduk/chip'n'spin (cant mind which, maybe they're the same people as you mention both names in your original post) and was getting bad throttle cut. He'd posted the vagcom logs for people to see what they thaught and the tuner went a bit mental and refused to do any more work on the car.

It could well be a boost leak, but the turbos are still in one piece, and trying to run stage 1 boost pressures with a boost leak big enough that the engines only developing 260hp means the turbo would be running waaay past its maximum safe RPM. If it IS a boost leak then be warned the turbos wont last very long like that.

They're a bunch of cowboys in my opinion. Everything ive heard about them says the same thing, and a perfect example is doing a before and after run in different gears. The before run will have higher losses due to the higher speed, and even though the rollers software is supposed to cancel it out, you'll still get a higher reading in a lower gear. If it was for "slip" reasons, you'd want to use a higher gear, to reduce the torque applied to the wheels, not a lower one, which will apply more torque, and make the slip worse.

Unfortunately I found this to be true..

The favorite is to blame the DV valve spring, EBV or MAF for low figures.

I had a bad fuel/throttle cut and numerous different faults and after three visits and £££s later I came away with no fault codes, about 1PSI more boost than when I originally visited them and a nasty flat spot between 2-3K.

I would usually insist that these issues were corrected but I don't want to go back to them again to be honest.

I will be visiting Custom Code soon!!

since the re-code i have noticed a flat spot @ 3500rpm (spark plugs?)....on my way home from work this morning at 6am in cool air and a cold engine (8miles of empty dual track) it felt like it should, no flat spot and very quick...until the engine was hot,. return of the flat spot..could this be throttle cut or loss of boost as suggested?

prob wouldn`t hurt to change the plugs anyway as they have been in the car for the 6months i`ve had it

If you're replacing the plugs you should use a slightly smaller gap to account for the increase in boost.. could well be the cause of your flat spot at that amount of revs due to the peak boost level I'd say.

As for plugs keep them simple.

No fancy quad electrode things, or iridium plugs that are 20quid each

A nice simple BKR6E or perhaps BKR7E to cope with the extra heat should do just fine.

will see if that makes a difference...then i guess a purchase of vagcom from ebay to look at low torque figs

You'd be better of getting a vagcom cable before replacing spark plugs. At least the you can post logs and we can probab;y help diagnose where the problem lies.

what vagcom do i need, i have vista, is this compatible?

Just get a cheap ebay lead and use the shareware software to get you started.

You might need a licence to do logging runs, but they can be had for $100 from rosstech and work with the cheap leads just fine.

Doing it that way works out quite a bit cheaper than buying the full kit from rosstech at £300 or whatever it is.

ok bud i`ll get on with it and get one ordered. will keep you posted

cheers:s4addict: