changing ign/locks

andybnwc

Reaction score
Had to change drivers lock and ignition barrel/ whole thing i was kinda hoping the clifford would bypass the audi imo but it doesnt.

car is a 95 .
Whats the cheapest way get clocks and ecu or recode ?

Also someone mentioned to me they could turn the door locks to suit the ign barrel?

If you have VAG com and VAG Tacho you can recode them yourself, Cables cost around £40 for the 2 IIRC, Then handy for the S4 then.

Anyway, whats the verdict on the S4 mate?

s4 engine has moved back and has no drive when in gear . I have vag tacho and free vag com and ebay lead , my lead is 20miles away so might just have to get someone to do it for me . just bought a 3.0 td toyota surf as a run a round till we get the verdict on my car . Sat on a bus today for hour and a half it was HOT smelly and cramped

With the Tacho and Vag com, you can recode it all yourself mate, its just the mechanical stuff you need to do

**** about the S4, i hope she's ok. Problem is these insurance companies like to see them as "old" cars don't they

You have two options.

Either get a full lock set AND the immo1 box from a donor car, fit them to yours, and recode the ECU to the immo1 unit with vagcom.

OR

use vagtacho to extract the SKC code from your existing immo1 and use that code to program in the new keys.

Seen as you need the door barrels anyway, option1 is probably easier if you can find a breaker with all the parts available.

well i got the drivers lock , the car is sold and going far away , ign barrel is fitted now where is the immo box.

white box with plug into it? and is that it or do i have to get clocks and everything?

Thats the chap, its about the size of an old double casette tape, and has a small wiring plug with perhaps 6 wires.

if its pre-97 all you need is the white box, and its matching keys.

Connect it up, put a matching key in the ignition and use vagcom to match the ECU to the immo box.

cool ill grab it tmrw then , will chep lead and shareware vag com do the job?

update had the new barrel and immo box fitted today , didnt work a person i know who does coding for trade came to me pulled the key code and wrote the key to the original immo box with a machine not vag com he then told me how to re tumble the locks which is fiddly but pretty easy , just need to put it all back together and then its gone.

Hi andy can you tell me why you don't simply get the new loks built to match your existing keys? i am a locksmith and this ais a fairly straightforward operation and could be carried out by any competent locksmiths i would charge £20 for ignition lock and £15 for door locks chek local locksmiths...........

The ignition lock is bolted to the rack then then the bolts heads cut off. I was on a budget so just re tumbled the rest of the locks to the new key myself

It wouldnt have worked by just installing the immo box, you'd need to have told the immo box to resync with the engine ECU, which requires vagcom and is simply a case of opening a channel and pressing the Go! button.