What are you doing this weekend?

d4mo

Reaction score
Well it looks like we have some good weather coming so I plan to try my hand at a bit of paint correction on my A4 this weekend.

I have considered buying a proper polisher a number of times but have always been put off by the prices for something that i might only use a couple of times. However, I have spent some time looking throught the forums on a detailing website where a number of cheaper Random orbital sanders have been tried out and have produced pretty good results.

So a quick trip to B&Q and i'm now equipped with a £19.98 MAC Random Orbital sander and am awaiting a delivery of polish and pads from Polished Bliss, I only ordered it all yesterday so im keeping my fingers crossed that it arrives today or tomorrow.

I will get some before/after photos sorted out whilst im doing this, for now i am off to read the Polished Bliss thread on hand/machine polishing.

Hope you see some good results with your paint mate.. nice weather to show the results off too.

I will be changing the fuel filter and brake fluid this weekend.. might slap some polish on too if I get time.

I'll just be chilling out, and getting brown.

Doing my impression of a lobster for a 2nd week, but this time in Italy.

To be honest it was a toss up between polishing the car or servicing it....I decided that the service can wait till the following weekend if i get time to go and pick up the parts from the motor factors.

Hopefully I will be changing my alarm horn to a siren at my dads garage tomorrow and also get someone to look under the car as I had an unexpected BANG which sounded like it came from the rear, hopefully it was something outside while i was driving along, whatever it was it sh%t me right up.

Hmm i think i'll probably be staring at bits of landrover transmission in annoyance (i cant find a suitable bellhousing anywhere), and probably putting some more coats of paint on the chassis. Also need to remove the crank spigot bearing from the V8.

I'd like to test fit the engine in the bay again to see if the sump is going to clear the axle, but i'm not sure if that will happen this weekend, depends how much help i can muster.

I also might have a look at the cruise control on the A4 to see if i can figure out whats going on with it, and fit the oil pressure guage i've had for many weeks now.

I thought the monster thread on Detailingworld suggested the MAC random orbital didn't have sufficient speed control (couldn't go slow enough?).

Wasn't the Silverline the tool of choice?

Blue thunder > ******, that must have been futher in than the 30 or so pages i read. I decided against the silverline one as the Orange isnt available now and people appeared to be having problems with the V2 and had to degrease bearings or something.

ah well, i'll take my chances and see how i get on with it anyway.

Gardening... had yesterday off and got a bit burned without realising it. Doh!

Would love to spend some time on the car in readiness for a local charity show next weekend, but priorities and all that!

In Amsterdam from Monday to Friday next week, so won't be using my own car anyway all week. A quick Friday night prep will have to do...

So, just gardening (heavy landscaping) this weekend... might see if I can get a mate to have a barby at some point...! lol

I shall mostly be fitting the new anti roll bar link that i found was completely missing when i replaced my suspension with coilovers, raising the front up about 10mm and then hopefully get cracking converting a mini moto into a mini chopper! :D

Raising it up...? Are you mental? lol

Saying that though, I have just had a couple of days in the Lakes as I was coming back down from Scotland, and we went 'off piste' a little bit down a single track road (I say 'down' but it was mostly 'up') and I had GREAT difficulty with the floor not liking the extreme curvature of the tiny roads and we must have ground out about 30 times. Ouch. My bum was clenched tight for at least 10 miles after that!

Yeah unfortunately until i get my arches rolled i need that little extra clearance. Wouldnt be a problem if it was just me driving as i would take it a bit easy but got my folks coming over next week for TT and will be lending them the car when there here so figured better safe than sorry :D

Once the arches are rolled and slightly flared i will be able to drop it back down lower than it is now, fit brushes the the front splitter and charge the council to sweep the roads! lol

BBSparky > Mine was missing from the passenger site of my car, fortunately i had a new one handy as i was replacing all my control arms. I noticed the difference once i had it fitted.

Thats quite a coincidence then as its the passenger one thats missing on mine, was a bit confused as the bolt etc is still in place on the arm?!?

Got mine from the dealer today ( ouch! ) and will get that one tomorrow. Im starting to wonder if it will mean i dont need to raise the car as it only scrubs slightly at the moment when making slow big turns so would the anti roll bar stop the body roll and hence stop the rubbing? may have to fit the link then go for a drive and see before i raise it up then as it does look good low ( yes, fully aware that makes me a tart but hey, thats what big shop windows next to roads are for! ):yahoo:

Exactly same as mine, bolts are still there as are the rubbers but no link.

OSlower.jpg

Big shop windows... lol

I never look in them when driving past... honest!

Damo -> Exactly the same as mine, weak point maybe?

As for the shop windows im only really looking in them to makre sure the local window cleaners are doing their job properly! :D

I will be painting my Mums front room for her, as she cannot do things like this anymore as the chemo has made her quite weak now, bless her.

As well as the usual messing with car stuff,lol

Lesson learnt..

Don't bleed your brakes with no top on in the hot midday sun OUCH!
Lobster is a fair description lol.

Aaaaaah, what you need is a top girlfriend who keeps on top of the sunscreen action!

My back has still burned, but not as much as it would have done... and the garden is looking MUCH better...!

anyone know if we can upgrade our C links to the metal S2 ones ?

anyone know if we can upgrade our C links to the metal S2 ones ?

Im not sure about the S2 ones but i know I have read somewhere that a guy in the states has used a performance part from a Subaru Imp. WRX which has moveable joints or something along those lines, I have a feeling it was on Audi World but im having difficulty finding the article now.

Found the Link:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel42.shtml

auroan: Aye that parts fine, i need a housing from a 94-98 Discovery V8 to sort the other side of the adaptor, and couldnt find one anywhere.

I think i've managed to find one now though, so once it arrives i'll need to work on getting the adaptor machined up.