brake light problem

frankiejr

Reaction score
i just had an mot done and failed on a few things. (if anyones interested i can put that in another thread.)

one was the driver side rear brake light out. went to halfords and bought a set. though if im changing one i might as well change the other. once i had changed them though it was still out.

the side light works but not the brake light??? it is in the right way (only way it fits) :uhm:

any ideas what could be causing this? need to find the fault asap to re-test. could pay the garage to do it but would rather keep the cost low if i can.

thanks for any qiuick responses.

i dont have a volt meter but it is only the one side that isnt working. the drivers rear. if the fuse would cause only one side to go out then which one am i looking for?

thanks for replying.

I would check the contacts in the cluster with a voltmeter first. COuld be a connection issue in the plug to the cluster?
Not sure if the left and right are on different circuits, if so then it might be the brake pedel switch.
Good luck.

Unlikely to be the pedal switch as the other side works.

You need some diagnostic tools though, so go buy a multimeter and get the haynes wiring diagram on the go and see if the brake signal is getting to the light cluster.

Both left and right hand side brake lamps are on the same circuit, so most likely fault would be a broken feed to the driver's side cluster.

Or a faulty cluster itself.