EM TuningAH Fabrications

Thread: Wheel spacers

Reverse Gear

Status

Wheel spacers

I want to put wheel spacers on my 97 a4, it has 16" stock alloy wheels.. i figure maybe the spacers will make the wheels like nicer so i wont get new ones. Are there any drawbacks to using wheelspacers?
    What sizes should i get.. and from where?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status

Re: Wheel spacers

SubaruSTi... here's a previous post about the spacers on my car....A4 Suspension topic from June 26, 2004 Sorry, I don't know exactly where the spacers came from.... I've seen spacers on a few sites though. Check out ECStuning.com This link is for S4, so you may want to look for an A4 page.

To Kgough and jdp1962... I can understand when it's stated that spacers would put a different load on the wheel bearings than what was originally intended by Audi. However, you guys tend to advise getting different wheels to get the look you want. If you get wheels with an offset that puts the wheel farther out (as spacers do) then you would also put more stress on the bearings. Shouldn't we be advised to get not only different but also wider to get that look? Maybe you should just be more specific in your advice.

Grumpy Old Man

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    aagallarini said:
    SubaruSTi... here's a previous post about the spacers on my car....A4 Suspension topic from June 26, 2004 Sorry, I don't know exactly where the spacers came from.... I've seen spacers on a few sites though. Check out ECStuning.com This link is for S4, so you may want to look for an A4 page.

To Kgough and jdp1962... I can understand when it's stated that spacers would put a different load on the wheel bearings than what was originally intended by Audi. However, you guys tend to advise getting different wheels to get the look you want. If you get wheels with an offset that puts the wheel farther out (as spacers do) then you would also put more stress on the bearings. Shouldn't we be advised to get not only different but also wider to get that look? Maybe you should just be more specific in your advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh.....We are not experts here, just Audi owners with varying degrees of technical knowledge. OK, if you really want advice that is so specific, it removes the need for you ever to think for yourself again, how's this? Check with Audi what wheels can be fitted to your car without imposing excess strain on the existing components. If you like the appearance of the ones they recommend, buy them. If you don't, don't.

Neutral

Status

Adding spacers don't just put more stress on the bearing, but also the bolts holding the wheel to the hub. If spacers are used, the bolts are not threaded in as much without the spacers. ie a 5mm spacer would mean that 5mm of the bolt is not used to hold the wheel in place. This isn't the case with using wheels with different offsets. In extreme cases, you could find that the bolts shear and the wheel comes off.