Strange thing to nick

NineNails

Proud sponsor of the snack food industry
Reaction score
My undertray has been pinched off the car. Someones had it away in the last month coz it was there after it came back from the mot. It was a bit knackered at the back and was held on with cable-ties, one of which I found near the kerb and it had deffo been snipped. Could have been a lot worse I suppose but still ****** annoying...
Do I really need to replace it? It would be easier with regard to oil & filter changes but what are the good reasons for having it fitted?
Cheers.
Si.

Funny you should say about funny things to pinch. I had my side repeaters attemted to be stolen yesterday. There is finger/hand prints on the wings, and they broke one trying to prise it out, so they just abandoned them hanging out of the wings, little twats. Worse is , i know who it it, so have made sure word of my displeasure reaches him.

I havn't ran one for ages now with no ill effects, IIRC the main reason for it was to prevent noise from bounciong from the floor and making the engine sound louder than it actually is hence it being made of plastic, making it not very good as a sump guard

Audi claimed it made the car more aerodynamic (I suppose it makes the underside smoother).

I haven't run one on Outlaw since the OEM RS4 bodywork (January 2008) and can't say I've noticed the extra drag...

I have the ex-Siena undertray on mine. Car is slightly quieter but more important is that I like the idea of sheltering the underside of the engine bay from salty Essex puddles.

sold mine! £20 in my pocket and the car is now "lighter" !
I plan to replace it with a custom item smoothing a lot more of the bottom, but haven't noticed any issues not running one.

bound to make the under bonnet cooler, air flows in front and down the bulkhead/friewall without any restriction now

Cheers for the replies. I'd thought about the muck issue but was more concerened I might end up with a cooling problem or something.
The more I think about it, the more it freaks me out. Someone was under my car with tools in the middle of the night to steal this
icon_eek.gif
They must have been a skinny theif too coz I can't fit under there with it on the deck
lol.gif

Would anyone know if my undertray is v6q specific or are they common to other configurations? I think this was obviously someone local who was just nicking it to fit to his car. There are 3 mk1 A4's around me but none of them are v6 quattro...
Si.

same size apparently, only RS4 appears to be different

jcb said:
same size apparently, only RS4 appears to be different
That seems about right, cheers. I looks like anything from 95 to 01 A4 Avant or saloon petrol q or non q will fit. The diesels are different and the 'S' trays will fit but are 'heavy duty' and are mega expensive at around £230
icon_eek.gif

Si.

If you head over to a windswept field at the head of Loch Fyne (West Scotland), you might find one from a 97 1.8T Sport.

I lost it the other week when coming out of a field used for parking at the Loch Fyne food festival! Didn't realise until I got back home to Fife though.

Thought about buying a replacement but after reading these posts don't think I'll bother. One less thing to do at oil change time can only be good!

You think thats weired... someone nicked my front indicator a few weeks ago. Thing is it wasnt a standard one so they prob binned it once they realised and I had to go out and buy 2 (just got OEM ones as they look better IMO) because they were fitted by previous owner and I didn't know what they were as they were un badged.

My old TDI was quieter with it fitted. tbh, it does no harm and only takes 30 seconds to take on and off so cant see why you wouldnt run it? having said that, my 2.8 is missing the rear half, so im on the hunt for one.

i expect you would notice the difference in wind noise/front end stability much more are 145mph on the autobahns, as the car is intended to be used.

rear half?

Ours only has one part which runs from the front bumper to just about inline with the wheels. Theres no obvious fixing points going unused under there though?

Ours has two NACA ducts in it, presumably to help engine bay cooling, not sure if they all have this or if its a sport only feature though.

beat this, someone took the little silver insert things in the locks off the front two doors (im guessing to get access to the mechanism?) dunno what scared them off but the inserts are nowhere to be seen along with the arial =/ ******* my keys up pretty bad lol

The rear section is fitted to diesel-engined variants.

I've never come across a petrol-engined model with the rear section fitted as standard.