Chris NottBadger5
    imported_bpascua

How can I tell if I have an alarm?

Hello All,

Question, I have a 96 A4 i.8T - when I lock the car with the key I hear a slight honk from the engine (the horn) as if an alarm was being armed. Is this normal? or should I say was this standard? I dont have a key fob or anything so I didnt think there was an alarm.

Then this afternoon I left the sunroof completely open, this might have ben a cooincidence and after a bit I heard a honking sound! I went out to the from of the house and sure enough the cars indicators were flashing and the horn was going. I put the key in the lock and it stopped - wierd.

So can anyone shed any light on what type of security this might be? also I was hoping to fit a remote entry kit to the car, will this cause me problems or will the alarm be armed when the Central locking is used - by key or keyfob alike? As an aside I cant see any sensors in the inside of the car (like a microwave jobbie)

sorry to ask all these questions but I am still getting to know the car and it seems to be full of suprises!

Thanks

Brian

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status

Re: How can I tell if I have an alarm?

Yes, what you experienced was indeed the factory fitted alarm going off! On my A4 with remote central locking the alarm is activated/deactivated as the doors are locked/unlocked (it's the same as using the key!)